4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need to do nondestructive repair on Vista

My son is running Vista 64 bit, SP-2 (pre-installed) on his HP desktop.
    While I was cleaning out a couple of years of accumulated garbage on the machine (it was "acting funny"), I ran sfc and was not overly surprised to receive the message that there were some corrupted files that couldn't be fixed.

Can you tell me how to perform a non-destructive repair on this system?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This is how to perform a repair install of Vista, but you would need an install disk that included SP2 and a valid retail key, as the COA sticker key will not work on an OEM pre-install, although I'm not sure if Change product key would work for that or if you would need to go to MS to request reactivation. http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html

However, with the correct type of disk an offboot sfc /scannow may do it as the files would be replaced from an incorrupt source, but as it's an OEM machine then backing up any personal stuff and making a note of any product keys for paid for programs - a factory reset would be an alternative option.

At an elevated command prompt, you can enter the following command which will put an icon onto your Desktop for you to view the CBS Log in Notepad which you can then copy & paste into the reply box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-11 at 04:47.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info, Sudo.

I tried a factory reset (from the backup disks made when the computer was new). The installation from the backup disks was OK, and I started installing updated programs (anti-virus, Firefox browser), and on one of the re-boots, an error message was displayed saying that an unauthorized change was made to Windows, and pointing to a website (Microsoft) that started a validation process. After waiting about a half hour while staring at the spinning validating icon, I gave up and shut down the system without ever running SFC.

I then used my 2012 Acronis backup to get the system running again, but even back then SFC showed corrupted files.

I've convinced my son to let me update the system to Win 7. We have an official Microsoft Win 7 upgrade disk that HP provided at the time of purchase. However, I suspect an attempted upgrade will fail if the Vista OS is not up to snuff (all Windows updates installed, and no corrupted system files). This probably is not going to happen.

What I'd like to do is a clean Win 7 installation from the upgrade disk (including fully formatting the hard drive, thereby removing all traces of Vista). Since we have a legal license, this should be OK. I read online that this is possible, but might require some registry editing to succeed.

If you (or anyone on this forum) can tell me how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    ...What I'd like to do is a clean Win 7 installation from the upgrade disk (including fully formatting the hard drive, thereby removing all traces of Vista). Since we have a legal license, this should be OK. I read online that this is possible, but might require some registry editing to succeed...
    I'm quite sure that several times after Win7 was released I was able to clean install Win7 using "upgrade" disks. The only "snag" was that at some point Windows Setup required the install disk for the previous Windows version to be inserted into the optical drive before Setup would proceed.

In none of those cases did I have to do any registry editing.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LesF View Post
    Thanks for the info, Sudo.

I tried a factory reset (from the backup disks made when the computer was new). The installation from the backup disks was OK, and I started installing updated programs (anti-virus, Firefox browser), and on one of the re-boots, an error message was displayed saying that an unauthorized change was made to Windows, and pointing to a website (Microsoft) that started a validation process. After waiting about a half hour while staring at the spinning validating icon, I gave up and shut down the system without ever running SFC.

I then used my 2012 Acronis backup to get the system running again, but even back then SFC showed corrupted files.

I've convinced my son to let me update the system to Win 7. We have an official Microsoft Win 7 upgrade disk that HP provided at the time of purchase. However, I suspect an attempted upgrade will fail if the Vista OS is not up to snuff (all Windows updates installed, and no corrupted system files). This probably is not going to happen.

What I'd like to do is a clean Win 7 installation from the upgrade disk (including fully formatting the hard drive, thereby removing all traces of Vista). Since we have a legal license, this should be OK. I read online that this is possible, but might require some registry editing to succeed.

If you (or anyone on this forum) can tell me how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
    When you insert the Windows 7 disk and begin the install, it should ask you right up front what kind of install you want to do. You can delete and recreate the partition, then format it. That will absolutely clean the disk before proceeding, but it will take a bit of time. Or you could do a quick format, which will also wipe the drive, but it will be a lot faster than deleting and recreating the partition.

In either case, the Windows 7 install disk will first check that you have a valid copy of Windows installed. That's how you qualify to use the upgrade disk.

There are two ways of thinking about an "upgrade" -- (1) a license upgrade, and (2) a software upgrade. The license upgrade is what allows you to move to a newer version of Windows without having to pay the full retail price. The software upgrade is when you don't want to do a clean install; you want to preserve as much of what you currently have as possible.

You have the license upgrade. You could use it to do a clean install or a software upgrade.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think that you should contact MS to see what's going on with the licence query as you may have to get it reactivated, but as it's an OEM pre-install, they may chuck you back to the vendor, but it will be worth asking.

When you factory reset with the OEM recovery disks, providing they were created on or bought from the vendor for that machine, there shouldn't be an activation problem.

If you boot up with the Win 7 disk you should be able to opt for the Custom install, but I've only ever done this on an existing Win 7 machine so don't know if it would still query the validity of the previous install.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your input.

I found this site:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...7-version.html

This tells me that I should be able to do a clean install from the Win 7 Upgrade disk, or am I misunderstanding?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I reckon that should work - sevenforums tutorials are usually pretty decent.