New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down Is Windows completely broken now?

I just had another situation where I was working on a project, and saving my progress for possible mistakes, but it eventually crashed the program to Desktop. (Windows Style)
    This was annoying because I had relaoded my progress many times over the course of this project, and they had worked every other time, but randomly decide to be corrupted with my latest save.
    Then after crashing the program, and losing all of my work, I get "XXXX has closed. Windows will search for a solution." Yeah RIGHT. Like Microsoft EVER fixes it's mistakes.
    So, I am left wondering what happened to Windows, which used to be something inovative, and impressive....
    The last time Microsoft put out a decent piece of software seems to have been Windows 85, and since then they have been slipping down hill. Compounded by the fact that they provide absolutely ZERO support for any of their products, this is disgusting to me, and now I have lost EVERYTHING because of this supposed software Giant that can't seem to make anything that is not packed full of bugs, and glitches.
    WHAT HAPPENED to Microsoft??
    Last edited by zlloyd1; 2015-09-11 at 02:51. Reason: Typo

Thanks
    Welcome to the lounge.
    Sounds more like a rant than really asking for help. If you are disgusted with windows, maybe you should try Linux or Apple. Sorry that you are having problems but we all do, hence the forum.
    Personally, I am not familiar with "windows style" but maybe someone else will chime in and be of more help if you have a specific question and can provide more information on your computer and what happened.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Welcome to the lounge.
    Sounds more like a rant than really asking for help. If you are disgusted with windows, maybe you should try Linux or Apple. Sorry that you are having problems but we all do, hence the forum.
    Personally, I am not familiar with "windows style" but maybe someone else will chime in and be of more help if you have a specific question and can provide more information on your computer and what happened.
    I intend to go with Apple/Macintosh from here forward for the rest of my life, and will NEVER purchase a PC again due to the fact that it is forced to use Windows as an OS. I have tried Linux Ubuntu, but being open source, there was really no means of requesting support, and it was also dicey often.
    I was ranting to be honest, mainly because after a week of work, my efforts were all lost. As for Windows Style, that was a joke mainly, because I was severely upset when this happened....
    I realize that I should have had a backup of my files, but I thought that was what saving the file provided. Unfortunately, Windows had a different idea, and shut me down.
    No, I did ot truly have a specific question, and this WAS just a rant. Still, thanks for taking the time to respond!!
    Last edited by zlloyd1; 2015-09-11 at 13:36.

Thanks
    I realize that I should have had a backup of my files
    That's one thing that is "Preached" here over and over. Backup, Backup, Backup. I have never tried Apple so good luck in your switch.

Thanks
    What software were you using?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is called VMWare, and is a desktop server environment that I use for my home office. I had put in over 12 hours on that project, which is the main reason that I was "ranting" when it crashed, and I realized that it was not just a one-off error, but that my file was now completely corrupted....
    Yes, I should have made back ups as I was working, but was stupid I guess!!

Thanks
    So was the problem with VMWare rather than Windows? If any program crashes it endeavours to find a solution (even if unsuccessful). And programs crash for all sorts of reasons, and can take their data with them. But I suppose you didn't want to hear that. I hope you have better luck with Apple.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is possible, but I have gotten into the vibe of blaming Windows for much honestly, however it is true that not ALL crashes are because of the operating system I suppose....

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Don't think you won't have problems with Apple systems. The backup, backup, and backup meme is just as valid on an Apple machine as a Windows machine.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Don't think you won't have problems with Apple systems. The backup, backup, and backup meme is just as valid on an Apple machine as a Windows machine.
    Joe
    Possibly, but I know that Apple/Macintosh systems are generally less buggy, and less susceptable to endless viruses, and malware from the internet. As well, I believe they provide actually contacts for support, unlike Microsoft, who expect you to contact the manufacturer of your computer for help because it is an OEM activation license....
    Besides, I am not saying that a Mac is a better computer so much as I am saying that Windows is the target of every hacker on the planet because they have such a control of the market, which also is shocking to me.

I am aware of the importance of backups, but am also disgusted by how far Microsoft has fallen in quality of their products as Gates has been selling off his stock like hotcakes!!
    Last edited by zlloyd1; 2015-09-14 at 05:33.