Thread: Win 10 upgrade

New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 upgrade

I installed Win 8.1 on new hard drive. During installation, I upgraded to Win 10. I have the Win 10 ISO. Can I downgrade the Win 10 back to Win 8.1,do a clean install with Win 10 iso, and they be able to install Win 8.1 on another computer?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's no point in downgrading to Windows 8.1; and you still won't be able to re-use the Windows 8.1 license on another computer.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-09-11 at 09:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Bruce. Any way you look at it, you pay for Win 10 because you lose a perfectly good operating system that you upgraded from

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The reason I went to Win 10 on wife's computer is becaus I had Win 7 32 bit on it and wanted to go to 64 bit(had Disks). But when i wiped the hard drive, win 7 would not go through with the installation. It kept hanging up and recyling at "Starting Sevices". So I bought Win 8.1 and then upgraded to Win 10. Now Win 8.1 is rendered useless.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have since installed Win 7 in a virtual machine from the Win 7 disk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Thanks Bruce. Any way you look at it, you pay for Win 10 because you lose a perfectly good operating system that you upgraded from
    That's absolutely right, you can pay with money, or you can pay with a headache.
    Sometimes both, depending upon your skills level.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    The reason I went to Win 10 on wife's computer is becaus I had Win 7 32 bit on it and wanted to go to 64 bit(had Disks). But when i wiped the hard drive, win 7 would not go through with the installation. It kept hanging up and recyling at "Starting Sevices". So I bought Win 8.1 and then upgraded to Win 10. Now Win 8.1 is rendered useless.
    Umm, that's always been the case when you upgrade from one OS to the next with MS, probably others as well. To keep the old OS you need to buy the new OS. Just because you got the new OS upgrade free doesn't change that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Umm, that's always been the case when you upgrade from one OS to the next with MS, probably others as well. To keep the old OS you need to buy the new OS. Just because you got the new OS upgrade free doesn't change that.
    Apple does the same with the Mac OS X, installs over the previous version. Mac OS X Yosemite was a free Upgrade over the previous couple of versions, one could speculate that Microsoft copied that.