5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Update setting in reference to avoid have Windows 10 automatically install?

I have seen comments about Windows 10 automatically upgrading on computers and I don't want mine to automatically upgrade
    I want to wait until the Oct Windows Update and upgrade my Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 when I'm ready
    --- Right now I'm wondering whether or not Windows 10 will automatically upgrade on computers that are ready for it as part of the Oct Windows Update

I don't recall the link I found it in which unfortunately I didn't record include unchecking
    "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows"
    but that option disappeared when I did that and now I can't find out how to get it back.
    --- How can I do that?

Thanks
    Personally I have always set my Win 7 to never check for updates so I can pick and choose what I want to install manually. The only time I didn't was when I wanted to install win 10 on an HP laptop that I have.
    I hid all the win10 KBs on the win7 computers that I didn't want to upgrade yet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lumpy95 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-09-11)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi lumpy95, I never thought of using the Never check for updates
    I do use Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them proceed manually

On my "I don't recall the link I found it in which unfortunately I didn't record include unchecking
    "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows but that option disappeared when I did that and now I can't find out how to get it back." well, I wish I hadn't done that now but as another "gotcha" in the world of computing, I got gotcha'ed again like so many times over the years. Trying to find a solution is more than challenging: one person reported they got it back when they updated Silverlight. I haven't installed Silverlight on my computer; maybe it makes sense to do so but I don't see the reason why.
    Anyway I'm going to keep trying to figure out how to get "Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows." back.

Thanks
    Is this what you are looking for?
    Change settings.JPG

Go to Windows Update>change settings, and you will see it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes: Important updates, recommended updates and who can install updates are in my Windows Update screen

However it’s the Microsoft Update: Give me updates for Microsoft products and check for new optional Microsoft software when I update Windows that’s gone now after I had unchecked it.
    --- And since it’s gone I can’t check it back in.

The software notifications: show me detailed notifications when new Microsoft software is available is also non-existent.
    --- I don’t know whether or not that was there also

I also did a system restore to a couple of days ago but it didn’t help

Thanks
    This is the procedure by Woody that I followed to hopefully stop the W10 upgrade on two machines that were trying to upgrade without permission.
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/297...html?nsdr=true

It's only been a day or two, so too soon to tell if it is working.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Problem solved. I had Macrium Reflect backup visit my computer and everything is back to normal. lumpy95 thanks for that screenshot

Thanks
    Your welcome

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In case anyone else is interested I had found the following link that appears to me would have worked
    Opt-In to Microsoft Update
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...(v=vs.85).aspx
    I would have been willing to try the solutions included but I’m not familiar on how to work with VBScript or Power Shell

I would also like to note that as has been so may times mentioned in other posts how valuable creating system image backups can be