Thanks

Can't set Windows Photo Viewer as default program

I was setting up a new Toshiba laptop for someone yesterday. When I set up Win 10 I generally set Windows Photo Viewer as the default for jpg's and other image file types. I went into Default Programs and set Windows Photo Viewer to have "All its Defaults". Yet jpg's were still opening using Photos. So I right clicked on a jpg file and selected Open With, and Windows Photo Viewer was not shown as a choice, even though on other Win 10 machines it is there. (I know I could have navigated to the executable location and set it as "always open with" but I didn't know where that executable was located, and I was in a hurry.)

I went back into Default Programs and selected Set Program Access and Computer Defaults, scrolled down to Jpg files, but found that Windows Photo Viewer was not shown as an option that I could pick as the default.

I ended up leaving it with Photos as the default.

Any ideas about what was going on here?
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-09-12 at 13:53.

Thanks
    Unfortunately, I haven't found Windows Photo Viewer anywhere on Win 10. If it's there, I can't find it.

Update: I found it. Settings>System>Default Apps. Go to Photos and click on it and Windows Photo Viewer is one of the selections.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-09-12 at 15:31. Reason: More info

Thanks
    Yes, but when I set it in there to have all its defaults on my the computer in question, jpeg files still opened in Photos.

On my computer, I am able to have it be the default for jpegs. Maybe it is because my computer is an upgrade to Win 10, which the other one is a new computer with W10 installed.

Thanks
    When I went looking for Windows Photo Viewer I went to C>Program Files> Windows Photo Viewer and opened the folder. There was an exe file for it in the main folder which I double clicked on and the window that popped up said for scanners and cameras so I closed it. Then I went to settings>system>default apps and changed photos to windows photo viewer and it changed it to photo viewer as default for opening all my jpeg's.
    Maybe starting the exe had something to do with it or as you say, maybe it's just a quirk with the new computer.

Thanks
    It seems there is no executable file for WPV, it runs off a .dll file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/...-location.html

Thanks
    Here is what I am talking about in my HP Win 10.
    WPV.JPG

Thanks
    Yes, thanks.

I navigated there after you gave that info in the previous post. That folder contains the dll referred to in the link I posted.