2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Crucial MX100 512GB question; corrupt or borked?

We built a PC and installed the above drive as primary. The intent was to install Win7 HP>to Win 8.0> Win 8.1 Pro. Somewhere along the line in doing Windows Updates the OS got corrupted by Windows refusal to install some updates with multiple failures. I could not access my PC with the SSD, so I pulled it out and installed a Western Digital Black 1TB and went on to complete the above task without the slightest hiccup.

So now, I have a SSD that may or may not be faulty, so I'd like to see if it can be formatted or optimized or whatever to see if I could get functioning properly again. Thought I might use it in this PC for File History stuff. The reading I've done has got me totally confused. I figured out that you can't use Windows Disk Mgt stuff like you normally would, but apparently the disk can be optimized in Windows. Also, the disk shouldn't be a part of Windows maintenance procedures. No defragging or chkdisking allowed.

I had no trouble installing the disk and getting ACHI controller recognized. In fact this PC remembered that the disk was installed in the PC because ACHI controller is still in Device Mgr. The UEFI Bios picked it right up and configured it for me and it ran just fun for a couple of months before I attempted upgrading the OS.

I also read that a SATA III to USB cable adapter with UASP will help me see what's on the disk w/o the need for an enclosure. Can someone help in simple language tell me what I have to do to see if the disk is useable and how I can figure out if it's just file corruption that was the issue. There's so much stuff on SSD's out there, not much of which I can understand. And, how do I cleanup the disk so it is useable. Thanks very much for your help.

Diane P.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Thanks
    You can use an adapter, or you can install your SSD as a second hard drive. Either way, if its functional, it will show up in Disk Manager. It should be allocated a drive letter automatically and will then be accessible via Explorer. A drive letter can also be allocated manually in Disk Manager if its not allocated by Windows. If you can access the contents in Explorer, you can reformat the disk to get rid of any unwanted partitions created during the aborted Windows install (or you can do it in Disk Manager). It should then be available for storage.
    SSDs should not be defragmented and W8 replaces that utility with the TRIM utility. The Trim command is designed to enable the operating system to notify the SSD which pages no longer contain valid data due to erases either by the user or operating system itself. During a delete operation, the OS will mark the sectors as free for new data and send a Trim command to the SSD to mark them as not containing valid data. After that the SSD knows not to preserve the contents of the block when writing a page, resulting in less write amplification with fewer writes to the flash, higher write speed, and increased drive life.
    As for chkdisk, whilst SSDs don't have sectors which can be repaired (modern SSD drives automatically remap themselves to resolve problems using wear levelling technology), it may need to be run if the file system structures on the disk are corrupted for some reason.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-09-14),PeachesP (2015-09-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much.

I read so much conflicting advice on the web, I wasn't sure what to do next. I have purchased the Startech Sata III to USB adapter and will work with the SSD as an external for the moment to see if I can get Windows to see it and then reformat it and use the TRIM utility.

After I get the adapter, and work with the drive, I'll post the results. Hopefully the drive is still functional.
    Homebuilt PC--Corsair Graphite 760T (W) Tower; Intel Haswell-E I7 5930K; 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4@2666MHz; ASRock X99 Extreme 6 Mobo; Corsair AX860i Platinum 860W PSU; Corsair H110 Cooler; EVGA GeForce GTX980 AC/SC videocard; Crucial MX 100 512GB SSD; Spinner 3TB WD Black; Asus Blu-Ray; Asus DVD/RW; 3 Bitfenix greens; Coolermaster 240mm; EaseUS Backup; USB3 Toshiba B/up drive; Office 2007;Windows 10 Pro

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    Thank you so much.

I read so much conflicting advice on the web, I wasn't sure what to do next. I have purchased the Startech Sata III to USB adapter and will work with the SSD as an external for the moment to see if I can get Windows to see it and then reformat it and use the TRIM utility.

After I get the adapter, and work with the drive, I'll post the results. Hopefully the drive is still functional.
    If the drive is not functional, I would suggest contacting Crucial's support. They have been excellent every single time I had to resort to them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    +1 for excellent Crucial support.

jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to ruirib & jerry.

The drive was purchased in April & put in the new PC in May, so I've got some time re: warranty.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesP View Post
    Thanks to ruirib & jerry.

The drive was purchased in April & put in the new PC in May, so I've got some time re: warranty.
    It's not just about warranty, they give great advice on how to get a drive working when it experiences problems.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Using the SATA III to USB cable, I was able to format the drive and update the firmware. Drive letters got assigned, so Windows found it w/o a problem. Drive appeared as healthy using Crucial's suite, so hopefully in the next day or two, I'll be able to get it installed in the tower. There is a small system reserved partition, but I am just glad the drive appears useable.

I'll probably have to "sanitize" the drive (which is what the tools call it) to get rid of the system reserved thing. Thanks for everyone's help.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Drive was sanitized and initialized and recognized by Windows. The "system reserved" partition was successfully removed.

Suite of tools Crucial provided at the website was easy to use and pretty much self-explanatory. I guess I could say the drive was successfully "ized".

All is well and up and running. Thanks for those who helped me.

Diane