Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Manchester England
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Problem sending emails

    I have encountered a strange problem that is driving me mad. For the last 4 years I have used a Sony Vaio laptop at work and as well as my work Exchange account I also have used Outlook to manage my personal emails that are set up as IMAP accounts. This system has worked pretty well over that time and so when I got a new laptop at work (HP Spectre 360 - this combines a laptop and tablet functionality) I tried to reproduce it. Obviously the environments are not identical. The Vaio runs WIN7 SP2 and I upgraded the Spectre to Win 10 as soon as I got it but on both I run Outlook 2010 for email. I have been able to set up the work Exchange account on the Spectre so that it works just as it did on the Vaio but not the IMAP accounts.

    What happens is that I can receive emails for my personal IMAP accounts on both machines but I cannot send anything from the Spectre while I can still send from the Vaio. I have stepped through setting up the accounts with the Vaio next to the Spectre and checked every entry I can think of and as far as I can see the set up is identical on both machines BUT I can only send from the Vaio and not the Spectre. This is despite the fact that when I run 'Test Account Settings' from the Change Account dialog box I am told that I have been successful and indeed I do receive these setup emails.

    Can anyone explain what is going on?

  2. #2
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Forever West
    Posts
    2,078
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 259 Times in 248 Posts
    I don't see any mention of whether both computers are logged into the same ISP/Internet Service Provider or Domain. I've seen your type problem that was attributed to the Relaying issue where having an account with www.account1.com works but when logging into a 'foreign' ISP such as www.account2.com works for receiving but sending is blocked using the information for account1. It's kind of an anti-competition thing.

    P.S. Don't think there's been a SP2 for Win7 yet.

  3. #3
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Manchester England
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I don't see any mention of whether both computers are logged into the same ISP/Internet Service Provider or Domain. I've seen your type problem that was attributed to the Relaying issue where having an account with www.account1.com works but when logging into a 'foreign' ISP such as www.account2.com works for receiving but sending is blocked using the information for account1. It's kind of an anti-competition thing.

    P.S. Don't think there's been a SP2 for Win7 yet.
    Hi Berton. Yes both computers log in to the same ISP and since I am using them side-by-side they will access the email accounts through the same route (I assume). Just to be precise the email address, incoming and outgoing mail servers, user name and password are identical on both machines but they behave differently when it comes to sending email. Also I have the problem even when the Vaio is switched off and so the Spectre is the only device accessing the accounts. I could try deleting the accounts from the Vaio but I'm not sure that would be the answer. Effectively I want to be able to manage IMAP accounts from two different devices which I thought would be possible.

    Yes you are right Win 7 does not have SP2. I was too lazy to check and just wanted to indicate that my Win 7 was up-to-date - instead I demonstrated my ignorance! Just in case anyone's wondering - I have checked all the settings for the email accounts which is the meat of this post.

  4. #4
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Manchester England
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have solved the problem. Searching online using the error code 0x800CCC13 as the target I came across the suggestion of using running SFC /scannow from the command line. I tried it and it reported that some corrupted files had been identified and repaired. After this I was able to send emails although the emails that had been stuck in the Outbox were still stuck. Anyway problem solved!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •