Lounger
    Thanks

Upgrading to Windows 10 and eliminating Recovery partition

I am running Windows 8.1 on an HP 2in1 with a 128 GB SSD drive; space on the drive is at a premium. The Recovery partition uses 15 GB and there is only 10.3 GB free on the C drive. After spending a number of phone calls with Microsoft, including an “escalated” session, they told me that in order to upgrade without doing a clean install there has to be 20 GB available. The only way I could upgrade would be to do a clean install; not something I wanted to jump into yet. I have compressed the drive and the 10.3 GB is all I get.

Why do I need a Recovery partition? If the operating system has changed and if I have all the drivers, of what use is a Recovery partition? HP lists 12 drivers for the 2in1. (I do not see one for Bluetooth. Is there one and might there be others?)

I have not done a clean install since Windows 98 but I assume that some things have not changed. When I installed Windows back then I could reformat the hard drive and set partitions. Is there any reason I should not plan on doing a clean install and use the entire drive for the new installation?

Thanks
    Download one of the many free partitioning applications and use it to delete the recovery partition.

*Just make certain you've made an image based backup of the entire drive to an exteral drive.

A better one up would be to get another drive installed and move all your personal data to it. Then you'd have more than enough space.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2015-09-14 at 07:59.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

GeoSully (2015-09-14)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoSully View Post
    I am running Windows 8.1 on an HP 2in1 with a 128 GB SSD drive; space on the drive is at a premium. The Recovery partition uses 15 GB and there is only 10.3 GB free on the C drive.
    You have an answer re the recovery partition, but to avoid a clean install, you should check what is using the space on the drive: Treesize free does an excellent job of showing where the space has gone, if you do a drive cleanup, removing old updates, and clear out the System Restore folder (part of cleanup), you may find you have more than enough space. If you really want to dig deep, running dism with various switches can clean a lot of old stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mngerhold For This Useful Post:

GeoSully (2015-09-14)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you.
    Any suggestions for a free partitioning application?
    If I clean out my drive of a lot of stuff by backing it up and upgrade to Windows 10, could I expand the C drive into the space being used by the recovery partition?
    I am a bit of a cheapskate (frugal?) and would rather not get into the expense and hassle of replacing the drive.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Any suggestions for a free partitioning application?
    Many will (may) recommend Easeus, but it once gave me trouble, and I fell back on a 2009 vn of Paragon Partition manager (now up to v14). I have not used this later vn, but have never had trouble with the older one. It deals with Linux as well as MS formats, and allows creation of a recovery CD for when Windows is hosed.

Unless they have changed it, the user interface is a bit odd: you specify what you want to do, and it stacks the operations up until you press the 'go' button (once you have found it). Don't stack too much at one go!

It should allow you to expand the C: partn to use all available (contiguous) space.
    Last edited by mngerhold; 2015-09-14 at 10:51.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    GeoSully,

I've had very good luck with Partition Wizard Mini-Tool Free Edition.

Since you're moving to a SSD it has an option to migrate to SSD plus one to make sure your drives are properly aligned (important for SSDs to prevent unnecessary wear). HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    As the recovery partition will be of no further use, there's no reason not to recover the space before you upgrade, having first created an image - just in case something goes wrong. Having upgraded, you should delete the Windows.old folder which is created during the upgrade.
    I use Mini Tool Partition Wizard also, which as said, will also clone to an SSD if you should decide to evict the spiders from your wallet. but there are several other free utilities of this type available and everyone has their own favourite. I fully expect someone to start an argument about which one is the best. Just search free partitioning software for a selection.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/

Thanks
    Another issue I don't see in the thread is that one cannot perform a "clean install" of the free Windows 10 Upgrade without having first upgraded the existing OS. The only way a clean install would be possible for you is to purchase a retail Windows 10.

As others have suggested, make a full drive image of your drive, delete the recovery partition, then upgrade to Windows 10. After the upgrade, use Disk Cleanup to delete the Windows.old folder.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Lounger
    Thanks
    As part of the free upgrade process Microsoft has a free ISO file available to do a clean install. They also provide instructions on setting the ISO file to be able do a clean install using a thumb drive. I have downloaded the file I but have done nothing with it yet. I have not seen anything that sounds like there will be a charge. The Microsoft tech I worked with was prepared to do the clean install for me if I had the space on the disk at the time. I wasn't ready for that.
    I remember when I installed older versions of Windows one of the first steps the installation program did was to provide the ability to format the drive and establish partitions; nothing had to be done to prepare for the installation. One thing I am asking, is whether or not the Windows 10 ISO file will do the same.

Thanks
    The Microsoft tech I worked with was prepared to do the clean install for me if I had the space on the disk at the time.
    The Microsoft tech also has tools that are not available to you or me. No doubt he had (has) the ability to make a clean install work from the gitgo, but ordinary users like us have been denied that option without first running the upgrade process.

After the upgrade process, one's PC becomes a registered Windows 10 PC, and can then perform a clean install (many users here prefer a clean install over an upgrade). But the clean install will not proceed (for ordinary users like us) unless the upgrade has been done first. There are a number of threads about this very conundrum right here in this forum.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    There are ways around that, provided you get the offer to upgrade beforehand, but frankly I'd just sooner purchase my own W10.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Is there a reason you can't transfer some files to another drive to free up the requires space? Although Win 10 might require 20 GB to be available, it won't use that much once it's installed, after which you can re-load the transferred files.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Lounger
    Thanks
    I see now some things I was not aware of. I guess the primary one is the upgrade will not happen unless it sees a working Windows installation. Probably obvious to most of you but until now it went right over my head.
    I cleared off lots of data to create space for the installation and I tried again. It failed again so I guess the tech's blaming the lack of space was not the whole problem. It would seem at this point as if I could do it myself using the ISO file but I do't see any real advantage to that. I guess I might as well let Microsoft do the upgrade.
    I am getting an education here. After I (they) do the upgrade, how do I do a clean install for no charge. If I use the ISO file after the upgrade, what do I use for a product key?
    Can somebody point me to a thread that talks about this?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    “Can somebody point me to a thread that talks about this?”
    Check out Fred Langa’s article in the most recent newsletter

How to clean-install a Windows 10 upgrade
    http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ws-10-upgrade/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

GeoSully (2015-09-15)

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am 83 years old and have learned how to do tings backwards so many times.
    I started this thread and learned a lot from you guys and now I see that Fred Langa had my answers. His article addressed my questions here and some which were in the back of my mind; wherever that is.
    Thanks again for your attention.