New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 faster on older PCs?

Hi! This is strange.

I did a clean Windows 10 Pro install from a bootable USB pendrive on a HP Compaq dc7600 SFF with Intel Pentium 4 HT 32 bit CPU, 2 GB of RAM and 80 GB HDD, and it flies like a rocket!

I did the same installation procedure on a Toshiba Satellite A505-SP7913R notebook with Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 64 bit CPU, 4 GB of RAM and 320 GB HDD, and it is "normally" slow. I mean, slower than the other.

I have no explanation for this, do you have one?

Regards, Fernando.

Thanks

Some Housekeeping maybe in Order for Speed Gains

When you state "slower than the other", do you mean that you have gotten some gains in boot (and run) speeds but not as much as those with the HP Compaq unit?
    Are both of these machines 64bit?

We have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that came with many pre-installed Toshiba utilities. It was an uphill fight to carefully uninstall those pre-installed "features" that I had no use for and some of them I would/could not dare uninstall because they were fully integrated to the proper workings of the laptop. But my UPGRADE to the 64bit Win10Home on this Toshiba laptop only became faster after getting a handle and disabling some of the auto-start (start-up) programs and service along with disabling many of the privacy and telemetry functions that are an integral part of the Win10 OS. Of course, the speed gains I got were achieved by NOT logging in with Microsoft/Windows credentials and using a local account logging.
    If all else fails and if you can't get the Toshy to run any faster, you may wish to consider replacing the HDD with an equivalent size (or even a 240GB) SSD that should cost you well under $100. Of course, the proper swap will also require using a cloning (imaging) tool like Acronis or some of the other FREEware varieties to make the replacement faster, instead of re-installing the whole Win10 OS all over again.
    Since both of your systems appear to be at least 6+ years old, you may also wish to consider replacing the other machine's (HP) HDD with an SSD so that these older HDDs don't die on you if you plan to keep them around for a while more. And if you do decide to retire them in the near future, the newly purchased SSDs can always be relocated to other machines...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My point is that it is at least weird that a smaller and older machine performs faster than a greater and newer one. I have no explanation for this.

Thanks
    Check the Startup entries in Task Manager on the slower one.

Jerry

Thanks
    One obvious difference is in "core" count. The Pentium 4 HT supports hyper-threading and presents to the OS as 4 cores. The Core 2 Duo T6600 is a two-core die and does not support hyper-threading, and so presents to the OS as 2 cores. There is also probably a difference in processor speed. The Core 2 Duo T6600 is 2.2GHz. I had a couple of Pentium 4 HT's that were 3GHz.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows