Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Updated Win10 now shows "No bootable device" every power up

I upgraded my computer win 7 64 bit, 8 gigs ram, amd fx (tm)- 6300 core processor 3.5 ghz, Win 10.

At first everything fine except it did not recognize my ASUS DRW 24B1ST dvd drive

I decided to to a windows update to see it that would help.

After update the dvd player works but now I have to use my win 7 disc to get the computer to run. I get this message when I power on- "No bootable device press any key to go back" so I insert my win 7 disc hit enter and win 10 powers on (as soon as it starts to power up I remove the disc (not sure if it would try to reload win7).

Will not be able to check this post until a few hours later today. Thank you for any help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    What is the device boot order in your BIOS?

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I should have told you that I am not experienced in registry or bios. Would there be a shortcut keystroke to hit during startup? Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    In Win 7 it's usually done by tapping F2 as you switch on but you seem to be twixt and between, but you could give that a try.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Been having a dig around for your problem and have found http://wind8apps.com/no-boot-device-available/

If you didn't create Win 10 bootable media, part of this lengthy article will walk you through. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/softw...ate-boot-media

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry just getting back. Made the boot disc and backed up files overnight. Will try later when I get home from work. Thanks.
    Could not get into the reg or bios by hitting f2 or f10.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    ...it's usually done by tapping F2 as you switch on...
    Maybe. Could otherwise be "Esc" or F10 (many HP models), F12 (Gigabyte), or "Delete".

If your motherboard has BIOS then after power-on the motherboard's splash screen might display which key to press to enter BIOS settings.

If your motherboard has UEFI then try holding down the Shift key and tapping F8 immediately after power-on.

Otherwise if you can get into Win10 go to "Start\Settings\Update & Security\Recovery". In the "Advanced startup" section click on "Restart now". As your computer is starting up and before Windows begins to load you should see a menu which provides an option to "Troubleshoot". Within the "Troubleshoot" menu there should be an option to change UEFI settings.

You need to change the UEFI settings to disable "Secure boot" and enable "Legacy boot". Then you will probably have to go into "Boot options" and set the DVD drive to be the first device.

Try it and see...
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried both suggestions above still have same problem. Could not find anything in the advanced startup about UEFI. I also reverted by to win 7 had the same problem. Re-installed win 10 and still have same problem. Tried to do the trouble shoot feature and when choose language keyboard came up it seemed like my keyboard had not started because I had no cursor and could not select anything. Am wondering if I should do a system restore but am thinking it would be the same as when I did the revert back to win 7. It seems to be in the startup phase but I just cannot get into the screens by pressing any keys during power. I have to leave for work now. I appreciate your help. Be back later.

Thanks
    I am a bit unclear as to what your problem is, perhaps you could restate it .
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by esmd3 View Post
    Tried both suggestions above still have same problem. Could not find anything in the advanced startup about UEFI. I also reverted by to win 7 had the same problem. Re-installed win 10 and still have same problem. Tried to do the trouble shoot feature and when choose language keyboard came up it seemed like my keyboard had not started because I had no cursor and could not select anything. Am wondering if I should do a system restore but am thinking it would be the same as when I did the revert back to win 7. It seems to be in the startup phase but I just cannot get into the screens by pressing any keys during power. I have to leave for work now. I appreciate your help. Be back later.
    Probably worth investing in an USB mouse and then you can select with that.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Upgraded from win 7 to win 10
    After upgrade everything started fine except win 10 did not recognize my ASUS DRW 24B1ST dvd drive. I then decided to run a win 10 update.
    After update every startup windows will not open and I get black screen with the message "no bootable device press any key to go back"
    I could put my dvd that came with win 7 in dvd drive and then reboot from that disc and win 10 with all my files, etc., would come on (I would take the disc out just after windows was starting thinking that it may try to install win 7 at some point).
    I tried all of the steps suggested above and still have same problem except I boot from my win 10 dvd now instead of the old win 7 disc.
    I reverted back to win 7 from win 10 and still had the same problem, then reloaded from win 10 from microsoft site and still have same problem.
    Does anyone think I should do a system restore back to a date before I tried win 10?

Sudo15 do you think the USB mouse would be recognized during the startup allowing me to do some of the suggestions listed above that I could not do before (not sure if you read above but I did get to the screen that asked for language and keboard but could not make any selections). I live in a rural area and it will be a few days before I get to pickup a usb mouse. Thanks to all trying to help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm not sure why your keyboard isn't working - perhaps the computer support site may have a driver or BIOS update for Win 10, but I use a Logitech USB Wireless mouse because I hate using a Touchpad and it will give you an alternate means of navigation.

As you are now getting the same problem in Win 7, it's difficult to know whether the upgrade to Win 10 caused the manifestation or not but while you are in Win 10, check your computer support site to see if there are any Win 10 specific updates for anything as these could be the solution - or Googling to see how to reset the BIOS to defaults for your computer model.

As you can get both Win 7 and Win 10 to boot with a kick from an install disk, it isn't likely to be a loose cable or a failing HDD which can also cause this problem.

This could be easier to fix in Win 7 with the Bootrec commands as from something I remember reading, someone said that these commands don't work in Win 10, but I'm only going by what I read so couldn't confirm this.

Anyway, this article could help you to resolve in Win 7 and having a good base to upgrade from could help negate problems in Win 10, but your computer support site could still have updates for Win 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Lounger
    Thanks
    Everyone hear thinks its the bios including me but you don't know how to use these screens , try finding a local tech if you shop arround I'm looking at about $25.00 Us or at the most $40.00 you may have to go this route unless you get good with the bios screen Any local tech friends? Good luck Bob

Quote Originally Posted by esmd3 View Post
    I should have told you that I am not experienced in registry or bios. Would there be a shortcut keystroke to hit during startup? Thank you.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It seems to be very important when trying W10 Upgrade especially from W7 that only 1 (one) HDD is connected. That any 3rd. party AV is disabled. Unplug USB external devices. (wireless keyboard and mouse seem to be OK - my experience) and ensure that the updates are installed before trying to use the new OS. I have had 4 completely uneventful W10 Upgrades (3 from W8.1 and 1 from W7) with only 1 HDD connected each time. I have always had MSE/Defender as the AV and have never had any problems with the installs.

Thanks
    $25.00 might buy you a semi-experienced 8th grader, Bob. Around here, figure $100.00 per hour. If it's a Mac guy, figure $160.00.

Unless you want amateur hour, make your bet on the first tee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast