New Lounger
    Thanks

Annoying Photo App

I have installed Windows 10 and by and large quite like it. However, The "Photos" app keeps opening on its own. I really don't want this independent behaviour, but I can't find any setting to instruct it not to open "automatically". I close it and then half and hour or an hour later it's back again. Does anyone know how to prevent the Metro App "Photos" from starting automatically? (I have no idea what triggers it to open after I've closed it.)

Thanks.

Thanks
    The Photo app is the default viewer for photo file types. Are you clicking/double-clicking a photo file (.jpg .jpeg etc.) when it opens?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ... or are you connecting a phone to that computer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm not doing anything. As an example, I closed the Photos App and then went to watch the first half of Monday Night Football. Now at half-time I see that the app has opened again, all with no intervention on my part.

Thanks
    I also didn't like the Photo App. Once you click it, it just keeps running in the background and slows down shutdown to close it.
    I went to Windows Photo Viewer and like it much better. Settings>System>Default Apps. Go to Photos and click on it and Windows Photo Viewer is one of the selections.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried your suggestion Lumpy95, but "Photos" has re-appeared. "Windows Photo View" is now shown as the default Photo Viewer, but "Photos" has opened again, this time while I was completely away from the computer. Earlier, "Store" had opened without any bidding and I had closed that down. It's very frustrating. :-(

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Thanks
    I'm not sure why apps are opening without your intervention. When you click on a jpeg does it open in Photos or Windows Photo Viewer? Is Photos still a live tile on your start menu, if so, right click and remove it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Lumpy95 you may have solved the problem. Double-clicking on an image opens the image in Windows Photo Viewer as desired. I went to the Windows 10 Start Menu and changed the status of "Photos" from "live tile" to "live tile off". Hopefully this will stop the unwanted behaviour.

Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And then again, maybe not. "Photos" just reappeared.

Thanks
    I unpinned the Photos tile from the start menu, then rebooted. Ymmv

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did that - unpinned "Photos" and rebooted. Problem still not solved. Interestingly, it doesn't actually appear on my taskbar, but shows up on the Object Dock (Stardoc) taskbar as a running app. I click on that and it shows itself and then I close it. Half an hour to an hour later it reappears.

Thanks
    I don't have Stardoc so maybe it has to do with a default in that somewhere? Unfortunately, my answers worked for me but not so much for your predicament. Sorry