Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Search - Dreaded Threaded mode

Is there some way my preferences could be imposed on Search results?

Although my preferences include "Default Display = Flat Mode", most of my viewing now seems to be in threaded mode. I am spending a lot of time clicking the double-bar icon to expand a thread to flat mode.

Typically, I enter a forum, click on search, enter my serach terms, and am presented with a list of posts.

Some of the posts in the list are clearly all part of one thread. Opening any of the posts in the list brings me to Threaded mode, and I have to click the double-bar icon.

I could understand it if I got the list of hits in an expanded message mode, that would let me eyeball the text of each found message and elect to view the thread in full, but it doesn't make sense to get a list of one-liners, and have to click once to get a single message, and then click again to see the entire thread.

Maybe it's me, but I like to see the post in context before making a decision.

I think that there are other places where my default is overridden, but serach is about the first and most useful thing I can do on the board, and the delays in manually selecting flat mode are costing me time and increasing the load on the board, since it has to re-display stuff the right way after displaying it the wrong way.

I could paste a series of snapshots if required.

Thanks

Re: Search - Dreaded Threaded mode

I believe I know exactly what you mean.

I think the problem stems from the fact that your search produces a list of specific posts rather than specific threads. To jump to the specified post within the thread would entail adding bookmarks to each and every post as the thread was displayed.
    Without that, you may be presented with a 20-post thread and have no way of knowing which particular post was refererred to in the search results.

A possible answer might be the way the search results are displayed. In column 1 (Post #), the post itself becomes the hyperlink to the specific post in threaded mode; column 2 (Subject), the subject line becomes a link to the whole thread in flat mode.

Either way, it has to add more load on the server. To default to flat mode would default to more information having to be processed whether or not the user wanted the whole thread. Personally, I find it half-and-half - 50% of the time I am happy with what I get, the rest of the time I want the whole thread.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> search produces a list of specific posts rather than specific threads.

Almost, but not quite.

I don't mind everything the way it is right now. I issue the search and receive a list of posts.

I have stated my preference for Flat Mode, so when I click on the post, I'd like the Lounge to recognise that I'm a Flat Moder, and instead of taking me to the single post and forcing me (time & effort) to tell the Lounge to switch to flat mode, have the lounge switch automatically.

The Lounge wouldn't have to respond to my manual request (saves modem and processing time) and I wouldn't have to do the extra click (ditto).

I appreciate comments about how the lounge would need to maintain extra pointers etc, and that would indeed be a burden.

However, the situation is that EVERY time I choose an item from the Search results, I'm performing a boring and repetitive task. The Lounge has to do that task anyway (because I'm going to click on the flat-mode icon). If The lounge recognised my preferences, it could display immediately in Flat Mode.

My proposal is really for LESS work for the lounge software, not more.

The benefits to me are improved response time (and less wrist strain).

I don't see any need to change the way search results are displayed; they are fine as they are, because I can eyeball (fast!) those results.

Once I decide that the post from, say, Leif, is probably the best bet, iw ant to be able to eyeball the entite thread (fast!), not just the one post.

Now, flat mode (eyeballing) may not be everybody's cup of tea, but in my case I have specifically asked for flat mode. I'm puzzled that my preferences are ignored.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Is there some way my preferences could be imposed on Search results?

Also, Is there some way my preferences could be imposed on Email Notification results?

Same thing. I get an email telling me that someone has replied to a post, I click on the link (In Eudora) and am taken to a single message. I would prefer Flat Mode because then I can (eyeball- FAST) refrseh my memory on the topic before replying, or see what others have posted in reply to others, not necessarily my own post, before replying. Cuts down duplicate responses, I believe.

Sometimes there are several emailed-responses to a post I made. It would make sense to recognise my stated preferences and show me the thread in Flat Mode, so that I can eyeball all responses before replying to the first, that cuts down repetitive replies and allows me to structure a response.

I think that the flat-versus-threaded is going to end up with those of us who would like to get a bucket of data dumped in our troughs and scroll locally to see data ("Flat Mode") and those of us who like to pick at our food ("Threaded"). If I'm a Flat Moder I'm probably going to want to use my eyeballs all the time, and that means Flat Mode in everything.

Recapping my previous reply, a change that REDUCES the clicks-and-responses ought to be good, and fairly straightforward. It's not a structural change. It's a mechanical change.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>To jump to the specified post within the thread would entail adding bookmarks to each and every post as the thread was displayed. Without that, you may be presented with a 20-post thread and have no way of knowing which particular post was refererred to in the search results.<hr>
    Why would the bookmarks be necessary? Are not the key words in the search italicised? Also, the post number is delivered in the search summary. If the burden on the Lounge is going to be increased, then such a change would not be desirable. If it is not too much SQL to insert the delivery method as Flat/Threaded based on default viewing mode, this would be a welcome development.

Your "possible answer" alternative (of a delivered choice between threaded and flat) is ingenious - IF it does not add a significant load.
    Gre