Thanks

It Seems Symantec has Developed a Distrust for The Lounge!

It Seems Symantec has Developed a Distrust for The Lounge!!!

I have Norton Internet Explorer up and running (latest version, compatible with Windows 10) and I get the following warning when trying to open SOME threads (but not all??) This has never happened to me here in the Lounge before ...

Screen Shot 09-15-15 at 12.24 PM.JPG

Even more "interesting" is the fact that these warnings only appear when I browse with Internet Explorer 11 (not with Edge or Firefox) ???
    Last edited by petesmst; 2015-09-15 at 06:33. Reason: Corrected a typo
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have the same problem in Win 7 / IE 11 using Norton 360 when going to www.betfred.com and for a while it was doing the same when trying to download AdwCleaner

I haven't had any problems with the Lounge yet and can get to betfred.com okay in FF.

I've reset IE to defaults without resolving and while I was hooked to a Norton tech and not seeming to do much, was able to get the website without the alert - but after he went and a reboot, it's back to the alert.

I'd even done a Remove & Reinstall should it have been a buggy Definition update - but still no go.

At least Norton allows you the option to load the site anyway whereas with ADW it kicked it straight out.

If you Google that Norton is blocking some sites, you'll see where there have been numerous complaints on the Norton forum.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-15 at 09:37.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After seeing all the problems listed in Windows Secrets Lounge about IE-11 on Win 7, I plan to stay with IE-10 and not go to IE-11 unless forced to. I mainly use Firefox, and I don't have any problems with IE-10 when I use it. In fact, if it wasn't so risky to use, I'd be using IE-10 all the time. Sounds like Norton has got some problems too. I have Win 7 HP 64 and plan to stay with it. I like it and it works.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    After seeing all the problems listed in Windows Secrets Lounge about IE-11 on Win 7, I plan to stay with IE-10 and not go to IE-11 unless forced to. I mainly use Firefox, and I don't have any problems with IE-10 when I use it. In fact, if it wasn't so risky to use, I'd be using IE-10 all the time. Sounds like Norton has got some problems too. I have Win 7 HP 64 and plan to stay with it. I like it and it works.
    Have you tried running IE 11 in compatibility mode for the sites which have problems? Go to Tools / Compatibility View Settings; then add the sites in question to the list.

Recently my job upgraded us all to IE 11. I then couldn't get into my job's webmail! I added that site to the Compatibility View list, and the problem was solved.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that info., that's good to know.

Thanks
    If you upgrade to IE 11, and find that you don't like it, you can uninstall it, and you will then be back to the version you had before the upgrade.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 x64, IE 11 and Symantec Endpoint Protection (not the Norton brand). No troubles at all with the Lounge here.

Thanks
    Even more "interesting" is the fact that these warnings only appear when I browse with Internet Explorer 11 (not with Edge or Firefox) ???
    The warning is probably coming from a Symantec add on to IE. Edge doesn't support add ons and its probably not loaded in FF.

Jerry

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Sudo15 (2015-09-15)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just checked mine and have Norton Identity Protection enabled as an add-on and Norton Safe Search in Search Providers.

Disabled NIP and removed NSS and betfred came up okay.

Re-enabled NIP and got the alert again.

Thanks for that Jerry, but this never used to happen, although I think I'll leave it enabled as it's only that site that is affected at the moment.

Just wondering what virus it says it finds in the Norton details though - it just lists Virus =1.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Betfred is a virus IMO.

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Betfred is a virus IMO.

cheers, Paul
    Only when it takes your money on a losing bet