5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Does this have something to do with Secure Boot?

Checking out a Windows 8.1 laptop in which the computer owner is constantly requested to input her 4-digit pin number. She has to do so when she boots up. OK but it doesn’t stop there. She could typing in her email password but then she also has to input her 4-digit pin again and sometimes again for whatever reason. To me that's pretty annoying. I ran Belarc and it reports Boot Mode: UEFI with successful Secure Boot
    So is it because Secure Boot is successful that she has to input that 4-digit pin number?
    --- If so is it possible to configure only upon startup?
    --- Is it possible to deactivate secure boot?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    It is unlikely this is from secure boot. Someone configured the device to use a PIN instead of a password.

Is this happening when the screen gets turned off? Have you checked the setting for requiring a password when returning from sleep?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-09-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I'll check what I can when I get back there. It's a brand new laptop and the owner had called Verizon on how to access her email and I believe they helped her do the 4-digit pin as well as my friend literally knows very little about using computers: and I believe exactly what you said. So I'll look into how she can eliminate the 4-digit pin system and log in with a regular password. I just wanted to make sure I was going after the right issue

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    The PIN is not a problem. It is just annoying to have to login after the screen is off or the machine is asleep.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    You could change to a local logon instead of the MS logon. Personally, I do not like sharing my personal information with the internet anyway. I do not want or need the internet to know anything about me.
    My personal info is my personal info .
    You can still do everything you want to do regardless of how you sign onto your PC.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to leonk For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2015-09-24)