Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft's decision to pre-load Windows 10 upgrade sans consent is ill-advised

People are starting to get upset about the secret D/L of Win 10 in the background when they didn't ask for it.
    Dispenses with 'industry practice' claim about downloading upgrade to PCs whose owners didn't ask for bits
    http://www.computerworld.com/article...l-advised.html

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, very stupid Microsoft. What idiot approved that?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Not only do users get an unwanted download, many also get an unwanted 'upgrade' (rather like being 'upgraded' by Dr Who's Cybermen). All one needs to have for this to happen is a Win 7 64-bit OS with Microsoft's own recommended Windows Update settings - it makes no difference whether one 'reserves' an upgrade. For many, me included, that process trashed a perfectly functional OS (in my case two Win 7 installations on separate laptops) and thoroughly blew my monthly download limits for two months running.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    I guess they might have figured that one idiot in 10 wouldn't complain about it thereby earning
    them another 1 or 2 percent of market share. [?]
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    iOS and Android routinely put you in the position of more or less forcing you to upgrade the OS but I don't recall that they ever did it without me having to at least tell it to proceed.

It's been my impression that Win10 is similar in that you have to give it the final go-ahead, but MS has made the upgrade too easy - to the point where people will do it without realizing that they have done so. That's not good.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Bottom line, pretty dang sneaky and obtrusive. IMHO MS has hit a new low which makes them hard to trust, but then/again, what are ya gonna do when they are the major player.
    I have win 10 on 1 laptop but I'll keep all these other computers at win 7 until 2020.

Thanks
    All indications were that an unwanted upgrade of my Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 was starting when I clicked on Restart to boot back into my Windows 10 side of the dual boot. Instead of shutting down, it went to a colored screen with "Windows is getting ready, Don't turn off your computer" and the spinning marbles. There had been no Updates, and I had made no changes that would call for a reboot. But the "Windows is getting ready" and spinning marbles went on for quite some time.

So I turned off the computer. I then booted into the Windows 10 side, restored my last drive image of 8.1, then booted back into 8.1. I uninstalled the two updates mentioned in Woody's article, then ran Windows Update to get 8.1 up to date. Only one of the offending updates was offered, KB2976978, which I unchecked and hid, then downloaded and installed the rest.

Next I changed my update settings to never check and never download. I can always check manually, which I did, and KB3035583 was offered, which I unchecked and hid. I ran a full defrag, and finished a new set of drive images to my new NAS/File Server. It's faster than my GoFlex Home NAS by a noticeable margin. It's easily as fast as creating an image on a separate internal hard drive. I'm well pleased with that part of things.

I'm not so well pleased with Microsoft's underhanded ways. I didn't let whatever process that was running complete, so I can't say for sure, but it sure looked like an upgrade in progress to me.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    It's been my impression that Win10 is similar in that you have to give it the final go-ahead, but MS has made the upgrade too easy - to the point where people will do it without realizing that they have done so.
    This has nothing to do with anyone 'realizing' or otherwise that they've given permission to go ahead. The issue is that it goes ahead without the user being even being told it's going to happen - they are also never given an option to not do so. None of the Windows Updates that collectively implement the upgrade ever refers to Windows 10 (they merely say they're being rolled out to 'resolve issues with Windows' even the MSKB articles omit the fact they'll ultimately 'upgrade' the OS, like it or not); nor do they disclose they'll be inflicting a 3GB+ download on the user's computer. And that's before the 'upgrade' starts trashing the target computer.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    So it would seem that the "new Window 10 WU" is a backdoor into MS doing whatever they want on your system
    without ones permission.
    They could have at least given the more advanced Windows users amongst us an option buried in a properties box somewhere.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    There is a fail-safe of sorts. Set 7 Free (also works on 8/8.1) will completely block an upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 only offers the option "Keep nothing" in the installation routine, which requires a two-step authorization before installation continues.

Microsoft might not be quite so ready to completely pooch someone's installation of 7/8.1 (although one never knows...).
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    There is a fail-safe of sorts. Set 7 Free (also works on 8/8.1) will completely block an upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 10 only offers the option "Keep nothing" in the installation routine, which requires a two-step authorization before installation continues.

Microsoft might not be quite so ready to completely pooch someone's installation of 7/8.1 (although one never knows...).
    Seems like many hours more work than DisableOSUpgrade=1 or a single click on Disable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update in GWX Control Panel:

Computers that have this ... will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows. (DisableOSUpgrade=1)
    How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options (KB3080351)

Preventing Windows 10 Upgrades from Windows Update with GWX Control Panel

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    There is a fail-safe of sorts. Set 7 Free (also works on 8/8.1) will completely block an upgrade to Windows 10.
    That's all very well IF one:
    1. knows what MS is up to before they're affected ('cause then it's too late) - few would be; and
    2. manages to stumble across your page or one like it and is 'advanced' enough to act on what they see.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Seems like many hours more work than DisableOSUpgrade=1 or a single click on Disable Operating System Upgrades in Windows Update in GWX Control Panel:

Computers that have this ... will never detect, download, or install an upgrade to the latest version of Windows. (DisableOSUpgrade=1)
    How to manage Windows 10 notification and upgrade options (KB3080351)

Preventing Windows 10 Upgrades from Windows Update with GWX Control Panel
    True enough, it is many more hours, without a doubt, and requires a lot of experience to accomplish, but TrustedInstaller isn't yet coded to get around it.

TrustedInstaller can get around anything one might sequester in the registry, including removing/rewriting registry keys entirely. Just do a repair/reinstall and see how many of your customizations have to be re-customized.

It's also easy enough to combat just by restoring a "clean" drive image, but how many users maintain a "clean" drive image?

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is so!

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    So it would seem that the "new Window 10 WU" is a backdoor into MS doing whatever they want on your system without ones permission.
    CLiNT, exactly that is what is happening and in the future is going to happen to all Windows users.

High time to find a dependable alternative OS for at least those of my customers who just do Internet, email, eventually write a letter and store their pictures on the computer. And I already know/have two alternatives.

I sure hope that all the (semi-)professional computer repairers on this and other forums get more and more people to switch to a Linux system. So may people that MS has to feel it in the bottom line.

Added bonus is that computers technically could work much longer than Micro$oft's "life cycle" wants us to believe.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    That's all very well IF one:
    1. knows what MS is up to before they're affected ('cause then it's too late) - few would be; and
    2. manages to stumble across your page or one like it and is 'advanced' enough to act on what they see.
    As for your #1, those of us who maintain a library of independent drive images (meaning for data, OS, Programs, etc.) recovery is fairly simple even if it is "too late", as in my post #7.

As for your #2, I didn't say that it is a one-click solution, or that anyone can accomplish it, but I did include a link.

And I do know that it works. I had to reconstruct my Set-7-Free Windows 7 installation before I could get the Windows 10 upgrade to proceed.

Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast