Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Excel has stopped working

When running a large macro in Excel , that copies data into several folders, I get a message "Excel has stopped working"

I never had this problem with Windows 7, but this happens on Windows 10. I have 12GB of Ram

It would be appreciated if someone could kindly advise on how to resolve this

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not much to go on.

Are you certain that it's frozen? Windows will often report that a program is "Not Responding" if it's busy doing something.

When you say, "copies data into several folders", what do you mean by that? I assume you are using some kind of VB script, is it using a utility or strictly DOS commands?

Are you positive that the folders you are copying to actually exist? Even a typo can create a problem.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Graham

Thanks for the reply

I am using VB script to copy CSV Files into their respective folders. Never had a problem before upgrading to Windows 10. I closed excel completely and re-ran the macro and then it worked

When running the macro the first time, the excel file closed down completely after getting the message "Excel has stopped working"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How strange, but it wouldn't be the first time I've encountered strange. Some days, strange is my middle name.

Just out of curiosity, why 12GB of memory? I wouldn't think anything could use that much RAM - even a memory hog like Excel.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Graham

I have done some research and Office 2010 32 bit, can only use a max of 2GB of Ram and 64 bit can use a lot more

See link below

http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=115767

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It rather sounds like Excel is one of the few programs that can really make use of that much memory. Seems strange to me since I routinely work with huge databases that work just fine with 4GB.

But then Excel was always gobbling up everything it could lay hands on. Guess if you are going to work with big spreadsheets the extra memory is going to be helpful.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Graham

I will let you know the outcome once I have installed the 64 bit version of Office

This will be done next Friday

Regards

Howard

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Howard. Interested to hear what you find out.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Windows will often report that a program is "Not Responding" if it's busy doing something
    Howard,

As long as you have a 64bit OS and a relatively modern motherboard to accommodate it, the more RAM the merrier. More RAM enables you to have more background processes and applications running simultaneously from within RAM without the need to tap into your hard drive as virtual memory. However, one pitfall with having a battalion of applications running simultaneously is that the chances of one of these apps using an area of memory that Excel wants to use increases. An example is TeamViewer or some background antivirus functions that do not play well with a macro-intensive Excel Spreadsheets. If you are receiving repeated non-code errors then close down some programs and try again.

If your error continues, be aware of the dreaded never ending Worksheet_Change event loop caused by some poorly written code in this event that makes a sheet change and triggers the event within the event. Use of the Application.EnableEvents code lines might resolve this. Additionally, large nested loops are processor hungry and can tie up computer resources. These are just a couple of the scenarios that gsmith was referring to.

HTH,
    Maud

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

I think it is very brave of you to install the 64-bit version of Office.
    I posted this two years ago (2013-09-15) on this forum:
    By default, Microsoft Office installs the 32-bit version of Office even if your computer
    is running 64-bit editions of Windows. There is a good reason for this.
    Mainly, it's because there aren't many 64-bit versions of ActiveX controls available.
    And existing 32-bit ActiveX controls don't work with Office-64-bit.
    You should also need to be aware that running any VBA code that was written before the Office 2010 release (i.e Excel 2007 vba or earlier ) on a 64-bit platform can result in errors if the code isn’t changed to run in 64-bit versions of Office.

Personally, I don't think your issue has anything to do with the 2GB Excel limit.
    I suspect your issues are with other processes running when you are running that Excel macro.
    I would suggest you try running the macro again on a less busy day.

zeddy

Thanks
    Howard,

I would revert back to the 32 bit version of Office. If you are determined to keep the 64bit version, you will undoubtedly run into errors. Get to know the PtrSafe keyword and read this Microsoft article that reinforces the points zeddy makes.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee691831.aspx

Also note that with many of the changes you need to make to enable your code to run on 64bit Office, it will make it no longer be compatible with 32bit office.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Maud & Zeddy for your input

On Tuesday instead on selecting the form button linked to the macro, I clicked on the macro and the macro ran without any problems. When I clicked on the form control button linked to the macro, Excel closed down, but not sure why this would cause the problem

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Howard

..are you now using 64-bit Excel?? Is it a 32-bit activeX form control????

zeddy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Zeddy

Based in your and Maud's input, I have decided to stay with 32 bit-Office