Thread: Security Alerts

Lounger
    Thanks

Security Alerts

My wife's Windows 8.1 laptop has for some time been displaying the following "security alerts" in Chrome:

'The page at https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com says: "Warning Virgin Media ltd customer: Your system has critical security vulnerabilities. Call 0-800 410 1027 for immediate assistance.'
    Ditto 'the page at https://13-ctscfficim.tf ...'

When these come up we usually also get a warning that our Adblock Plus was automatically removed.

We can only close them by using Task Manager. Naturally we've scanned the system repeatedly with Panda, Malware Antivirus and the Eset Online scanner, to no effect.

How can we get rid of these security alerts? I'm assuming they're bogus!

Many thanks,

Joe

Thanks
    Look in your list of add-ons for Chrome. (I'm not sure where it's found in Chrome.) That's a likely place for this sort of thing to be hiding. Sometimes your A/V software won't catch it if it's there.

If you find something there, but are unable to uninstall or disable it, try using CCleaner to get rid of it.

In the meantime, use a different browser until you can fix Chrome.

Lounger
    Thanks
    The only extensions I could see were Adblock, a Popup Blocker (which I've now removed as Adblock does the same job), Readability, Google Docs and Trustee Rapport, which our bank wanted installed. None of these seem likely suspects.

Using another browser seems an obvious idea that never occurred to me!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I believe what you're seeing is a variation on “Your computer may have adware/spyware virus”, so try AdwCleaner:

“Your computer may have adware/spyware virus” Removal Guide

Lounger
    Thanks
    Bruce

That makes sense. I'll run through Malware's suggestions and install AdwCleaner...

Ta!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    I believe what you're seeing is a variation on “Your computer may have adware/spyware virus”, so try AdwCleaner:

“Your computer may have adware/spyware virus” Removal Guide
    When I clicked on that link, Norton 360 popped up to say that it had blocked Web Attack:Fake Scan Webpage 16 by disqus.com.

While I don't know about Panda, you could also include a scan with the free version of MBAM

Prior to the scan, go into Settings/Detection and Protection and use the dropdowns and change to treat as malware for PuPs and PuMs.

You could follow the scans with AdwCleaner and MBAM with a scan with https://www.avast.com/browser-cleanup for good measure.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-16 at 11:20.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    When I clicked on that link, Norton 360 popped up to say that it had blocked Web Attack:Fake Scan Webpage 16 by disqus.com.
    You must get used to false positives with Norton?

Disqus.com would be comments at the bottom, but I only see innocuous stuff down there (but including some names of malware).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It seemed a bit of a coincidence that it was blocking something called Fake Scan on a site that was advising how to remove something similar - but I wouldn't know if it was a FP on a site I wasn't familiar with.

I tried it again with the Norton identity Protection add-on disabled which was snagging another site when enabled and it first gave me an alert to blocking Page 7 and then popped up again with Page 16.

These are the details -

Alert.PNG