Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

AVG AV 15 installed and MSE still running

AVG AV 15 installed and MSE still running. Just noticed. Clicked on MSE on start menu and saw real time was enabled. Is not this unusual and unwanted?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Two AV programs running at the same time will almost certainly slow the system down, cause conflicts (they are both trying to do the same thing), and risks reducing security (due to the conflicts).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Re-boot the system. Once re-booted check to see if the Windows Defender services are running.

Which version of Windows are you running?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As I think AVG doesn't have its own firewall, there wouldn't be a conflict just as you can run Avast Free with almost any other AV program - but as Coochin says, running two AV programs isn't advisable.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hear that MSE isn't worth the room it takes on your hard drive. Best thing is to disable it. Still don't know what version of Windows you have but all current Windows starting with XP have built in firewalls, and most likely your router/modem has one too. If you feel you still need another firewall, the Paid Version of AVG has one. I personally trust my Win 7 firewall.

Thanks
    I am running W7 Ultimate 64 bit.
    The situation is the same after a reboot.
    The program (MSMPENG.EXE ) seems to be running as a service.
    In Action Center AVG and MSE are both reported as running. Can someone tell me for sure that on a computer running another AV that this is NOT normal.

I would have thought that AVG would have turned off MSE.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    If you feel you still need another firewall, the Paid Version of AVG has one. I personally trust my Win 7 firewall.
    I am using the paid version of AVG, it does not include a firewall, guess that would be the suite with a FW. I am at present running Windows Firewall.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Which service is running? Part of MSE is network inspection. Not sure if AVG does that.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joep517 View Post
    which service is running? Part of mse is network inspection. Not sure if avg does that.

Joe
    msmpeng.exe
    David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I am running W7 Ultimate 64 bit.
    The situation is the same after a reboot.
    The program (MSMPENG.EXE ) seems to be running as a service.
    In Action Center AVG and MSE are both reported as running. Can someone tell me for sure that on a computer running another AV that this is NOT normal.

I would have thought that AVG would have turned off MSE.
    Whenever I have installed it on Vista & Win7 systems (many times) AVG has turned Windows Defender. Don't know if AVG would turn MSE off; have never tried to install AVG on a system that already had MSE running.

Can't you just uninstall MSE from "Programs and Features"?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think it comes down to Firewalls.

If I try to reinstall Norton after a factory reset, it will detect the trial version of McAfee and says it has to be removed first, whereas as soon as I do install it, it will turn Windows Firewall off although I have been able to turn Windows Defender on afterwards in Win 7.

Quite often I've seen Avast Free being run alongside MSE and in one case, Avast Free running alongside Norton 360 - never did understand that one, but had Avast had its own firewall then even if it had been able to install without Norton complaining, the usual anomalous problems would have started because of the conflicting firewalls and the first thing to usually go is Networking.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-18 at 02:58.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Whenever I have installed it on Vista & Win7 systems (many times) AVG has turned Windows Defender. Don't know if AVG would turn MSE off; have never tried to install AVG on a system that already had MSE running.

Can't you just uninstall MSE from "Programs and Features"?
    I could just turn off realtime protection, which is what I am intending to do. Its good to have a backup if AVG gets in a war with an update or something..

I really am just seeking to understand the situation, how they both came to be on!
    David

Administrator
    Thanks
    What version of Windows?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    They are both on because they aren't in conflict with each other as I've tried to explain in my previous post - although perhaps badly as you are still asking the same question, but the only active AV program that gets auto disabled when another is installed as far as I know, is Windows Defender in Win 8.1.

Any other time if you can get another AV program that has its own firewall to install alongside of another that also has its own firewall, then you would know about it because of the mayhem that would cause.

From my experience with Norton, the only thing that gets turned off is Windows Firewall and not another AV program that doesn't have its own firewall, so AVG not disabling MSE is nothing to worry about.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-09-18)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    What version of Windows?

Joe
    Wavy has already said that he's using Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast