Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Learn to use the Windows 10 Recovery Drive

TOP STORY

Learn to use the Windows 10 Recovery Drive

By Lincoln Spector

Sooner or later, nearly every Windows user powers up the machine and Windows simply refuses to start.

Every current version of Windows lets you create and run a self-booting rescue disc, but Win10 takes that tool to a new level.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/learn-to-use-the-windows-10-recovery-drive/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI, I built a recovery drive for my PC just the other day, and it insisted on a 16Gb flash drive as the minimum size. It took a good while to build it, too, as you indicate in the article. Had no issues or problems with it though; I tested that I could boot with it and access the various options. Very handy thing to have available!
    Bruce Probst
    Melbourne, Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you need to make 1 for each computer? or can a recovery drive be used on any Windows 10 computer if it is the right version?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The recovery drive is likely to incorporate local drivers, so one for each machine may be best.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I tried to create a recovery drive in Windows 10 I get a message 'We can't create the recovery drive - A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive' with no further information.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I wonder if creating a Windows 10 recovery drive means I can free up the space on the computer that is used by the manufacturers recovery system. Any inputs on this?
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Whenever one feels the need for more drive space it either means they need to go out
    and purchase another larger primary drive, or get a second internal drive to move personal data on to in order to free up space.

It's seldom a good idea to fiddle with the manufacturer's recovery partition, unless...
    You make and keep an image of the entire drive.
    Know exactly what you're doing and what the consequences are.
    You have a rock solid backup regimen in place.
    Or the manufacturer's recovery partition is a leftover from a previous operating system
    that is "known not needed" anymore.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bern_viking (2015-09-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks

16 G Flash

Quote Originally Posted by BWP View Post
    FYI, I built a recovery drive for my PC just the other day, and it insisted on a 16Gb flash drive as the minimum size. It took a good while to build it, too, as you indicate in the article. Had no issues or problems with it though; I tested that I could boot with it and access the various options. Very handy thing to have available!

My computer insisted on 16 G drive which I used, although empty drive showed 14.4 capacity. Download failed error--no explanation.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herkybird View Post
    When I tried to create a recovery drive in Windows 10 I get a message 'We can't create the recovery drive - A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive' with no further information.
    I got the same thing, with an 8GB (nominal) flash drive. However, formatted size is only 7.45GB. I suspect, as BWP states above, a 16GB drive will be necessary.

Edited to add: When I unchecked the option to copy system files, the program was quite willing to let me use the 8GB drive (or an external hard drive).

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint, thanks for the response, and my question was not as complete as it should have been.

My situation is that I have updated a couple of laptops to Windows 10, but left the recovery partition from the former OS (W7 and W8.1). I got them all up and running to my satisfaction, so there is no going back anymore and I wondered if I would actually need or indeed be able to use the old OS recovery partitions if I make some W10 recovery drives.

If I understand you correctly, I could free up the space and pin my hopes on the W10 recovery drives (and yes, backups and all that have to be done too, I know and do...)

Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    What can you do if an older system doesn't support booting from a USB drive, only a CD or DVD drive?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot get the recovery to work on my Surface Pro 3. Win10 works beautifully on it, btw.

When I attempted the UEFI advise from Fred Langa's Dec 11 2014 Top Story, as your article recommended, the UEFI screen would not allow me to enable boot from the flash drive (64gb) on which I created the recovery drive. Also, although I couldn't change it, the selection line said SSB only. Perhaps the Dec 2014 article needs updating for Win 10 and not Win 8?
    Last edited by R. D. McConnell; 2015-09-17 at 13:35. Reason: typo

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiotaco View Post
    My computer insisted on 16 G drive which I used, although empty drive showed 14.4 capacity. Download failed error--no explanation.
    Had the same issue on a computer and had to go with a 32GB drive. I tried it with a 64GB drive [didn't have the 32GB yet] and Windows formatted a 32GB partition on it formatted as FAT32. But there was the remainder of the 64GB unused and Disk Management couldn't do anything with it, all commands were grayed out. After I got the 32GB drive and created the Recovery Drive I booted to a GPARTED LiveCD with the 64GB in the port and deleted the partition and created a new full <64GB partition formatted as FAT32, worked out just fine. Windows has an issue with 64GB partitions formatting as FAT32 but not as NTFS, but then my Mac OS X has issues with NTFS.

Thanks
    I got them all up and running to my satisfaction, so there is no going back anymore and I wondered if I would actually need or indeed be able to use the old OS recovery partitions if I make some W10 recovery drives.
    Probably not, because they would be of the previous OS.

You should also check to see that the upgrade and partition removal doesn't void your laptop's warranty.
    Also, considering the nature of Windows 10 lack of product key in this instance, it would be advisable to
    create a recovery thumb drive for each laptop.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have tried in vain to create a recovery drive. At first I received a message that a drive could not be created because "files were missing." I searched on the net and learned how to correct that problem. I tried again and got a simple message that "there was a problem." I was using a 8-gig thumb drive. I un-ticked the box for saving system files and it was willing to proceed and said I would need a 512-meg thumb drive. This led me to believe that there is an extremely large number of system files so I re-ticked the box and inserted a 16-gig drive. It still would not let me proceed unless I un-ticked the system files box. So I tried a 32-gig drive and got the same results. I am beginning to get the idea that there is a basic fault here that some installations will just not permit system files to be included in the recovery drive. I did a lot of research at the Microsoft site and other places and found that there are no definitive answers for the problem. I did find, though, that there are numerous others like myself who do have the problem. I believe that Microsoft is aware of the problem and either does not care or is looking into the problem and just not telling us anything about it. If there is information available about this glitch I would sure appreciate learning where I can find it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast