New Lounger

Unhappy Dell Inspiron 530

After shutting down my computer for the night. The next day I tried to start the computer and nothing happened, no fans or beeps. I had this problem once before and it turned out to be the power button. So I replaced the power button and still nothing. I was still getting the amber light on the mother board, so I tried jumping the green wire and a black wire on the mother board connection. and still no fans. The next thing was I changed the power supply with a new one. Reconnected every thing plugged it back in hoping this solved the problem. The fan made half a turn and stopped. The power button light comes on, but nothing works. From this point I do not know what else to check for. Is it possible that there is a bad cap or maybe a bad mother board. I am willing to check other thins out, but do not where to start.

Queensland, Australia
    If a computer fails to power-on or halts with a black screen after power-on it is often caused by the BIOS being corrupted. Most modern motherboards have a backup copy of the BIOS stored in the CMOS chip.

You could try resetting the BIOS (I have seen this problem w/ many PCs, especially after mains power surges). Use the following steps to load the backup copy of the BIOS:

1. Unplug the mains power cord from the power supply unit (leave the cord disconnected during steps 2. through 4.).

2. Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard.

3. Use a suitable screwdriver (or some other suitable metal object) to short out the +/- contacts in the CMOS battery holder.

4. While the +/- contacts are shorted, press and release the PCs power-on switch 8 to 10 times (uses residual power stored in the motherboard's capacitors to force the motherboard to load the backup copy of the BIOS and resets the CMOS settings to defaults).

5. Refit the CMOS battery and plug the mains power cord back in to the power supply unit.

6. Power on.

If you now have video, you will need to adjust the BIOS settings (date, etc.). If you do not have video, then the motherboard is probably dead.

Note: this procedure relies on residual power stored in the motherboard's capacitors, so it is important to perform each step as quickly as possible especially after removing the mains power lead and the CMOS battery.

See: How To Perform a BIOS or CMOS Reset, and update/flash the BIOS at:
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.