New Lounger
    Thanks

System Image Windows 10

In Windows 8.1, I used the built-in system for creating a system image (I believe that it was legacy Win 7). Although that still appears to be there and functional in Win 10, when I ran it, I received an error message about a missing file and my external hard drive was no longer recognized! I saw that other folks have had a similar issue with not being able to save a system image (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...9-368af9267869). Is there a known safe way to generate a system image? I realize that Windows 10 has a file history application, but my interest is to have system image snapshots that I can put on a disk and keep offline. I am concerned about trashing another HDD.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Many here favour a 3rd party image/backup program over the MS offering.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...backup-program

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I recommend Macrium Reflect for image creation and restoration above and beyond the Windows default.
    It's much more reliable.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Paul!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the recommendation!
    Mike

Thanks
    @msav46140: The built-in backup utility in Windows 10 will only "see" your external backup drive if you boot up your system with the external drive already plugged in/connected to your system. You will find it then works just as it did in Windows 7.

Having said that, I still prefer to use Third Party imaging/backup software (more options are available). In my case, I use Acronis True Image, but I have also used Macrium (Free) and find it to be fine.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Been using Norton Ghost for years. Still using Ghost 15.
    Raylon

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ghost is only good for full disk image, modern backup programs will perform incremental image backup, file backup, clone etc. They also come with UEFI bootable recovery programs for modern hardware.

cheers, Paul