3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Need new protector

I have been using 2Brightsparks Syncbak for years with no problems with at least 3 antivirus programs, the last is Avast Pro used last 2 years.

Yesterday I started SyncBak up and it immediately was disemboweled. No choice was offered it just shut it down. I immediately did the same to Avast and am backup and running with AVG free.

Am thinking of Free/paid Panda or paid/free version of bitdefender advice/opinions needed.

Thanks
    I use Trend Micro. It's around $50 per year for three licenses. I've been very pleased with it.

My theory about paid vs free -- I want good protection on my computer. If I'm paying someone to do it, they will likely work harder than if I am not paying them.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I pay for Panda, seems to be fine. It has a web site check that stops certain pages from loading, but I've not been blocked from using anything I want.
    It does lie, like most, by telling you it has removed infections AKA cookies - OK to remove them, not OK to pretend they're infections.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2015-09-17)

Thanks
    Thank you Paul
    If I decide to switch I like to jump on the free version 1st to see what/how it looks/operates etc.

My theory about paid vs free
    Especially when some programs come with fonts not to be seen with high powered binoculars. If I pay I would at the very least like to be able to read it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While BitDefender has a good rep, it's been reported that it can bog down your machine so I wouldn't recommend it - but to coin RG's phrase.... YMMV

Norton Security with and without Cloud back up which has replaced Norton 360 and NIS (I think) is doing a 5 licence, but you would have to shop around for the best deal.

I recently bought two without the Cloud back up from Argos (UK) for 29.99 each for when my Norton 360 expires and hopefully future proofed the price for the year after.

Thanks
    In the past I have tried Norton and it just did not ring my bell, it just did not work on PC I had then and I never bothered to go back.

Another reason I like to try free versions 1st.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Avast Free is nearly always at the top of the list of freebies and you can use Windows Firewall rather than installing a 3rd party one.

Thanks
    Also, you can use a wide array of manual-scan tools as desired, while keeping only one tool running for continual protection.

Trend Micro, for example, offers House Call, a free manual-scanner which, I believe, is just as effective as using their regular program, except that it is manual scan rather than continuous-protection. Also, I'm not sure if it auto-updates.

Thanks
    Well all is back to normal, even managed to reinstall my paid version of SyncBackSE, It appears to be playing nicely with AVG free version.

Mind-boggling that after 2 or 3 years of Avast and SyncBack operating with no problems that Avast would run amok. When I uninstalled Avast I got the standard "Why are you leaving us" message and explained my problem but got no answer back. Just thought I would update problem here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you have started using AVG, you may be interested (or not) in this recent thread by lumpy95 http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...privacy-policy

Thanks
    Well as far as I know it does not appear that there is no such thing as privacy on a PC anymore.

Avast admitted to a boo-boo on their part which they now have sent out an update to solve the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If you want to go back to Avast, you can use AVG's uninstaller from - http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/p...a-6aebfa322f75

Thanks
    I'm using SyncBackFree 7.3.1.29 together with Avast Free 10.3.2225 without any problems. I uninstalled AVG Free sometime ago after it began losing ground in the av-comparatives 'file detection' and 'real world protection' tests (although I note AVG's results appear to have improved recently).

Following the uninstall of AVG and install of Avast Free I had no end of problems sending and syncing mail using Outlook 2010. The problem was solved after uninstalling Avast then running the AVG removal tool (see link in Sudo15's post #12) to get rid of the last vestiges of AVG that its own uninstaller didn't remove, before finally re-installing Avast.

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-09-20 at 16:35.