New Lounger
    Thanks

Cortana settings won't open

I do not have Cortana Settings available. It started with the search icon on the task bar not responding and for several days I could not get into Cortana at all. Then I discovered that if I opened the Start menu and typed a search word or term, Cortana would open and do the proper search. However, if I click on Settings, Cortana closes and I'm returned to the desktop. This has been going on for weeks. A solution from Microsoft would be appreciated, but as far as I know, they have not acknowledged that a problem exists. One person in the Microsoft Community forum got hers fixed by calling Microsoft and getting to a second level technician who finally fixed it by remote connection. She said, "this included a reinstall of all or portions (not sure which) of Windows 10." Has anyone had this problem and found a way to fix it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you tried a Reset?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No, I haven't tried that, but resetting deletes your files, settings, and apps—except for the apps that came with your PC. I would really like to avoid that if possible. My PC came with Windows 10 Home and a couple of days ago I upgraded to Pro and I was hoping that might help, but it didn't. I did reinstall all the built-in apps using PowerShell, but that didn't help either. I guess I'll wait a little longer for Microsoft to come up with something.

Administrator
    Thanks
    When you choose Reset you'll be given the choice to retain your files & settings.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Also, see How to Repair Windows 10 Image using DISM for a tutorial on a built-in tool.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    According this this site, resetting deletes the apps and drivers you installed. http://bit.ly/1KhCJgS

I have tried the DISM repair without any luck. Thanks for your reply.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Are you using a Microsoft account or a local account to login to Windows?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft account.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lwgreen View Post
    According this this site, resetting deletes the apps and drivers you installed. http://bit.ly/1KhCJgS

I have tried the DISM repair without any luck. Thanks for your reply.
    There are 2 approaches. "Refresh your PC" keeps all personal data. Only install programs have to be reloaded. The other, I'll call "Recycle" puts it back to a bare-bones OS, keeping nothing. Both are under the heading of Reset or Recovery.

And, certainly, there is System Restore which, loses nothing just reverts to an earlier date.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found what is causing my problem with opening Cortana. If you cannot open Cortana and also cannot turn on location in the Privacy settings on your PC because the choice is grayed out, this could solve the problem.
    This is the fix for Geolocation service being disabled and cannot be enabled (which causes Cortana to not open properly). Go to this registry location and delete the “3”. Then go to services.msc and turn on Geolocation service to “automatic.” Then Cortana will work properly.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\lfsvc\TriggerInfo\3

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lwgreen For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2015-10-26)