Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Inaccessible boot device

I have a five week old ASUS laptop which I upgraded to Windows 10 just after I bought it. Yesterday, it appeared to be slowing down so I tried to do a System Restore to a week old restore point. Instead I ended up with a blue screen with "Inaccessible Boot Drive", which then restarts and repeats the whole process. I cannot find any way of stopping this - none of the F keys do anything, nor does ESC help - it just keeps going round in circles until I turn it off. And it starts all over again when I turn it on. I do not have a CD drive on the PC,and no bootup media was supplied with the laptop. What can I do apart from returning it to the retailer which will no doubt mean that it is away for weeks being "repaired"?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    epzcaw,

To get it back to the way you bought it (since you haven't had it for long) Google "How to Restore ASUS Latop" there's a lot of help and even some youtube. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What are you using to post with ?

I think I would opt to take it back as it's in a loop and they should be able to roll it back to the original OS for you - I doubt that it would be away for weeks.

Where did you buy it ?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-17)

Thanks
    Or just return it!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    Or just return it!

If it isn't a hardware problem then it won't be covered by the warranty, so it won't be returnable and a charge could be made for any software problems - but at least you would have peace of mind.

If the purchase was made at PC World, they have their own techs in store who could fix it without the need to send it away to their repair centre.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your advice.

I'm afraid impatience got the better of me - I have returned the laptop to the retailer and it will take a week to ten days to "repair".

What I didn't say was this already happened when I first bought this model five weeks ago within two days of purchase. The retailer replaced that one with the current one. You may think it was a bit stupid of me not to simply demand my money back. But it is a nice laptop when it works, and from what I can see on the internet, this seems to be a Windows 10 problem rather than a machine problem.

So my dilemma will be what to do when I get the laptop back and it happens again. I followed your advice, RetiredGeek (but after the laptop had gone) and found what seems to be a way to intervene in the endless loop so maybe I can rectify it myself next time. But if it happens any time I try to do a System Restore, I will not be happy. I may then seek further advice.

Watch this space!! And thanks again.

PS. I have an older laptop which still works but is rather slow, and has a small screen so ASUS was supposed to replace it. This is what I am using at the moment.

PPS. I bought it in Currys/PC World and they say they have to send it back to ASUS. They ahve not said they will charge me if it is a software problem, and I will kick up blue murder if they do!!
    Last edited by epzcaw; 2015-09-17 at 13:23.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Usually when you stop the self repair loop it will blue screen with an Error Stop Code, so you won't be able to fix that unless you know what that means, but posting the Stop code on here as a BSOD fault will get you some help - but as this is the second consecutive new machine that's had the same problem, then it may have come from a batch of lemons and perhaps you should reconsider your choice of laptop.

EDIT - Just seen your PPS.

As it has gone back to ASUS with the same reported fault as the first one, PC World will have sent it back under warranty, so you shouldn't have any charges to face.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-17 at 13:28.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've checked the receipt I got today and it says "under guarantee".

This particular model was strongly recommended by Which, gets 4.2 out of 5 in Amazon with 44 reviewers. Does get two bad reviews where their devices didn't work properly.

Do you (all) think this is an ASUS fault rather than a Windows 10 fault? There are loads of links on the internet discussing this problem, and somewhere I read that Microsoft had now "fixed" it, so i have been assuming that it is a Windows issue.

I guess I see how it behaves when I get it back, and if it occurs again, I will say that the device is not "fit for purpose", so my statutory rights have been breached and ask for my money back.

Thanks
    Windows 10 is brand new, and different than previous versions of Windows, so it could be causing the problem (i.e. some software or hardware on your computer is not compatible with the rules of Windows 10).

If you have the original restore DVDs (you had to have made them, because no one gives you those disks anymore), then you could restore the computer to factory condition.

Does the retailer have any PC techs in the store? If so, then they should have fixed it for you that day simply by doing a restore to original factory condition. To me, a week to 10 days is way too long to make the customer wait for something that simple to fix.

If it was me, I'd stay with Windows 8.x (or whatever came on it); or I might even do a clean install of Windows 7. I personally wouldn't go to Windows 10 for my main computer.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-17)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have restore DVDs - the laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive. If I get it back in working order, I could presumably make a restore USB memory stick - might need advice for that.

The laptop had Windows 8 which I hate passionately, so presumably cannot go to Windows 7 as that was never installed on it.

I had been waiting for Windows 10 to be available before buying a new laptop, just to avoid having to work with Windows 8. Probably a mistake.

I also upgraded my old laptop (HP) to Windows 10 (from Windows 7) as I hoped it would speed it up. (Maybe another mistake?) It has helped a bit, and I haven't had any blue screen problems so far, but have not tried a System Restore which has been the problem with the ASUS, and I won't ever dare, probably. This one doesn't have a DVD player either, nor does it have any restore media....

The store's argument was that it had to go back to the manufacturer presumably because of warranty conditions. I could have argued but I didn't think I would get very far. But a poor show. Unfortunately, Currys have almost a monopoly on sale of computers if you want to buy in store rather than online (and I wouldn't fancy trying to get this problem sorted online)

PS. Thanks

Thanks
    And maybe don't install much or visit strange (not that you would) sites for a week or two...

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's quite possible you could get your machine back factory reset to Win 8.1 so that you will need to upgrade to Win 10 again.

Before you upgrade again if it does come back as Win 8, there should be an ASUS folder in All Programs which will have the facility to create a Recovery USB but I'm not sure what size of USB you would need, although it may give you some instructions for that in the manual.

When using DVDs, this would normally require two but if you bought an OEM Recovery Disk from the vendor, it could come as just one - which was my experience for one of my Toshiba Win 7 laptops while for another one, that came on a 16GB USB.

There is an interesting article in this week's News Letter about creating a Recovery Drive USB when in Win 10 which is worth a read and creation.

Prior to upgrading to Win 10 - even though you hate Win 8 - after cleaning out the bloat that comes with a new laptop, create a full system image onto an external HDD.

However, subsequent system images will overwrite that one unless you put it into a folder and name the folder other than the computer name - unless of course, you have more than one external HDD.

Ideally that could be kept on DVDs but as you don't have a disk drive, that isn't an option.

If/when you upgrade this time, use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB Win 10 ISO.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    And maybe don't install much or visit strange (not that you would) sites for a week or two...

I do try to avoid downloading anything that looks in the least dodgy. And I really don't visit strange sites (I think). The last thing I downloaded was the Trustee Endpoint Protection which online banks like you to use. It was after that that it slowed down.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I will probably get back to you for more detailed instructions when I get the laptop back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by epzcaw View Post
    I don't have restore DVDs - the laptop does not have a CD/DVD drive. If I get it back in working order, I could presumably make a restore USB memory stick - might need advice for that.
    A lot of laptops don't come with a CD/DVD drive these days. Pretty sad, in my opinion. You could get an external USB DVD drive for under $30 .

However, there may be a program you can run in Windows which will do a restore for you, without your having to use DVDs or flash drives.

The laptop had Windows 8 which I hate passionately, so presumably cannot go to Windows 7 as that was never installed on it.

I had been waiting for Windows 10 to be available before buying a new laptop, just to avoid having to work with Windows 8. Probably a mistake.
    If you like Windows 7, you could install Classic Shell in Windows 8.x. Once you get it all configured, it would look and feel just like Windows 7, even though you would actually be running Windows 8.x.

The store's argument was that it had to go back to the manufacturer presumably because of warranty conditions. I could have argued but I didn't think I would get very far. But a poor show. Unfortunately, Currys have almost a monopoly on sale of computers if you want to buy in store rather than online (and I wouldn't fancy trying to get this problem sorted online)
    If you bring your laptop into the store and ask them to fix it under warranty, if they believe there is a software problem, they will usually do a factory restore to whatever was on the computer when you bought it. If they have a skilled tech, and you pay them, then they may try to fix whatever is wrong without doing a restore. This is standard practice in the industry.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

epzcaw (2015-09-18)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast