Thread: Is it soup yet?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Is it soup yet?

Predictable prelim disclaimer: I'm usually an early adopter but take a little bit different view on OS upgrades. I usually wait a month or three to let the kinks get worked out before I take the plunge. I know I'm going WinTen eventually ... when is the big question.

Predictable question: Is it soup yet? Are enough of the issues resolved that it's time to go W10 on my main business machines? Input from some of you trailblazers will be sincerely appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My impression is that no, it's not soup yet. I wouldn't risk main business machines yet.

It's worth testing out if you have a scratch PC available for testing. For production environments though? No, I wouldn't feel very comfortable doing that. FWIW I'm thinking of reviewing W10 for production use about 6 months after GA. Which puts us into February timeframe.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There's supposed to be a major update due in October known as Threshold2 - but by then the number may have incremented a bit, so it's probably still best to hang back as some are having major problems after upgrading.

You only have to look through this section of the forum.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some say it may not be smooth sailing until next year:

Redstone is the next set of updates for Windows 10 after Threshold 2. Word is there will be two Redstone updates -- Summer and Fall -- in 2016. And according to my sources, a big focus for Redstone will be on improving the stability of the Windows 10 ecosystem and its many piece parts, via engineering processes instituted by the Windows team.
    My biggest problem with Windows 10: Instability

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, all, for your input. After the initial roll out I haven't heard a lot other than lots of tweaks still going on, but nothing about whether to jump in or hold off. Based on your helpful input, I'm going to hold off a while longer. Again, thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Some say it may not be smooth sailing until next year:

Redstone is the next set of updates for Windows 10 after Threshold 2. Word is there will be two Redstone updates -- Summer and Fall -- in 2016. And according to my sources, a big focus for Redstone will be on improving the stability of the Windows 10 ecosystem and its many piece parts, via engineering processes instituted by the Windows team.
    My biggest problem with Windows 10: Instability
    So to get the free upgrade before the cut off next year, the upgrade may have to be done before the proposed summer Redstone update which could still cause problems for some.

It's a pity that MS was in such a rush to get Win 10 out - unless they wanted everyone to be the guinea pigs and not just the Insiders to do their debugging for them - expletive !

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another six weeks have elapsed so I thought I'd re-check. How's the soup coming? Is it soup yet?

jwoods
    I personally will wait another 6 months or so before upgrading.

This is not only a new operating system, but also a new way of distributing updates and patches.

I would recommend reading Paul Thurrott at www.thurrot.com, Mary Jo Foley at http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft, and Woody Leonhard at http://www.askwoody.com.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been following Win10 for some time so I'm reasonably up on what it is and how it's distributed. As I mentioned in my OP, I'm usually an earlier adopter ... except when it comes to new OS's. Dating back to Win3.0 I typically wait one to three months to give time to work out the kinks. I suspected early on that Win10 was going to take longer to get there. From what I'm hearing, seems like my hunch was right. Seems like everywhere I look most folks are saying 'wait!'

I'm perfectly happy with Win7 on my desktop and grudgingly happy with 8.1 on the laptop. I think I'll hibernate a few more months!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstephens View Post
    Dating back to Win3.0 I typically wait one to three months to give time to work out the kinks. I suspected early on that Win10 was going to take longer to get there.
    If an operating system is released (at least) three months before it should have been, then you need to add your three months on top of that and currently plan for the end of 1Q2016.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...