3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows upgrade icon

I have a Windows 7 home premium desktop and laptop, neither of which display the windows 10 upgrade icon to reserve an upgrade copy. Is this because they are not fully patched - I only install the "important" patches and also ignore "important" patches for software I do not have, such as patches for Office 2010 when I use office 2003. What do I need to do to be able to get the upgrade.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Try installing the optional patches.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-09-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    I have a Windows 7 home premium desktop and laptop, neither of which display the windows 10 upgrade icon to reserve an upgrade copy. Is this because they are not fully patched - I only install the "important" patches and also ignore "important" patches for software I do not have, such as patches for Office 2010 when I use office 2003. What do I need to do to be able to get the upgrade.
    Maybe it's more than skipped updates.

Went through this with one of my machines. It may be that Windows update doesn't recognize your machine at the moment, which shouldn't surprise anyone, considering the hundreds of thousands of possible permutations.

After making sure my updates were current, I fixed mine by using the Windows 10 Compatibility Checker. It came up with a message that it didn't recognize my version of Windows (Win7 Ultimate), and it suggested that I try again later. An hour later, the Windows 10 upgrade icon appeared in my system tray. The upgrade ran just fine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bobdog For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-09-19)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You can, also, use the MediaCreationTool, instead.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    I have a Windows 7 home premium desktop and laptop, neither of which display the windows 10 upgrade icon to reserve an upgrade copy.
    Count yourself lucky. The reason may be because you don't have Windows configured to auto-install 'recommended' updates.
    I use office 2003
    Office 2003 is not compatible with Win 10. See: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windo...bility=Unknown
    Last edited by macropod; 2015-09-21 at 08:29.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Paul, in computing OLD does not sustain forever. It's both technically impossible & unrealistic. Things have to keep pace & stay in sync w/ each other. Off2003 is just about as old as XP. Things become passť & or obsolete, certainly, relative to the overall landscape evolving..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    @Drew,

Let's cool it with the preaching. Paul knows very well that things change and software becomes unsupported. He was just pointing out the incompatibility to the OP. Be that as it may, there are Loungers who are running various incompatible versions of Office in Win10.

Joe