3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium Reflect ability?

I am considering installing an SSD drive as a replacement for my hard drive (which I would then use as a storage for images), in an effort to speed up operations. I make backup images using Reflect - if I remove the hard drive and replace with the SSD will an image install everything on to the new drive.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Mike,

See this post. HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

mike21 (2015-09-19)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    RG, is Macrium Reflect as good or better than Acronis True Image? I'm looking for a good imaging (cloning) program to make a cloned backup drive. I see these two programs mentioned a lot. Are they right for what I want to do?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike, some SSD's come with cloning software that will transfer everything from your old HDD to the new SSD. All you need is a USB cable you will get with any HDD enclosure.

Have a look at the Samsung Evo SSD
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    RG, is Macrium Reflect as good or better than Acronis True Image?
    IMHO Yes. YMMV (as well as others). I used TI for years but started having problems with it. I switched to MR a few years back and haven't looked back. I've never had a problem with it and it works great. HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much RG. I forgot to ask, but I'm assuming MR works well with Serial ATA drives since they're all that are used these days.

Thanks
    CE,

MR works well with all drive types.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek, I recently added Macrium Reflect Pro to my bag o' tools for backup/restore operations.
    I plan on using the best of both to make two separate restorable backups onto my external HDs.
    Akin to GM and Ford, a lot of "equal to or better than" is tied to user preferences, needs, wants, etc.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also recently downloaded MR (I used TI many years ago). Backup for me for the last 5 years or so has been having my WHS system take the PC backups (I use file duplication on the server itself or whatever MS called it before they canned it).

After installing MR on 2 desktops and a laptop (this is in preparation for when I upgrade everything to Win10 next year sometime)...I ran an image backup on my desktop. It took about 50 minutes to image around 110Gb (all of my data files sit on the server). Looked pretty slick to me.

K

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    RetiredGeek, I recently added Macrium Reflect Pro to my bag o' tools for backup/restore operations.
    I plan on using the best of both to make two separate restorable backups onto my external HDs.
    Akin to GM and Ford, a lot of "equal to or better than" is tied to user preferences, needs, wants, etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    After using True Image since about Version 2 or 3, updating regularly until I started having trouble restoring previously recorded images. I then updated to version 12 (the then-current version), and ended up with the same and a couple of new problems, so I bought Macrium Reflect. Have not had problem 1 with this program. I had some trouble understanding how it works, but a couple of emails to their Tech Support folks got that straightened out, fast. They are very good about responding. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Thanks
    I have TI15 and it is extremely opaque. I would go with MR.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was using TI for several years because I could get it at a User Group discount. With each new version, the UI got worse. They claimed it was better but IMHO it was not. Maybe they hired some laid off Windows 8 programmers <hi>.
    I tried MR free and it seemed to be much easier to use. The new Ver 6 even does differential backups (haven't tried that yet).
    Acronis wants me to buy TI 2016.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nate01pa View Post
    I was using TI for several years because I could get it at a User Group discount. With each new version, the UI got worse. They claimed it was better but IMHO it was not. Maybe they hired some laid off Windows 8 programmers <hi>.
    I tried MR free and it seemed to be much easier to use. The new Ver 6 even does differential backups (haven't tried that yet).
    Acronis wants me to buy TI 2016.
    I am sorry I bought ATI 14 , never had a problem w/ MR.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.