Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Scammers Keep Calling Claiming to be From Windows Support

Last June we switched to fiber optic internet and phone. For the past month or so we keep getting phone calls from people with asian accents claiming to be from Microsoft or Windows support. In the background you hear what sounds like a busy call center. They tell us our computer and phone are sending out viruses.

Just to be safe I contacted Microsoft support myself and reported this. They told me they don't call people unless they schedule a call through tech support and verified that these people are scammers. Is anyone else getting these calls? They are very persistent.

Thanks
    Yup, these calls have been going around for a long time.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since this just started when you switched, I would take this to your phone service provider.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Yep, we even get the same kinds of calls in Oz. For anyone not tech-savvy, they have a very convincing spiel to get you to give them remote access to your computer so they can 'clean' it. You may end up being locked out of your own system and/or being told you have to pay for their services, and/or having personal stuff stolen and/or your computer being taken over to do their nefarious work, etc. etc.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Some of these scammers don't use withheld numbers and your phone provider should have a facility to block last caller, but I agree, if you've been given a new number by your phone provider, you should contact them as it could be a reissue and you should demand to have your number changed because of nuisance calls.

If they refuse you could threaten them that you will look for another provider for your phone and broadband - that usually gets a result

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Some of these scammers don't use withheld numbers and your phone provider should have a facility to block last caller, but I agree, if you've been given a new number by your phone provider, you should contact them as it could be a reissue and you should demand to have your number changed because of nuisance calls.
    I've had a number of such calls and it has nothing to do with 'reissues' - it's all to do with the fact there's money to be made ... and I certainly wouldn't want to go through the significant inconvenience of changing my phone # and all that entails in a futile attempt to stop it. I say futile because these people aren't just targeting particular numbers, but are either working through numbers systematically or at random. So I expect I'd just as likely get the same calls on a new number - more so, perhaps, if they have means of identifying new numbers.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    Have you ever gotten a call from a number you don't recognize and as soon as you answer it, they hangup? That's usually a robot dialing numbers to see if they are valid. Any number that shows up as valid is passed around or sold to other spammers/scammers.
    Telephone company's don't give a rat's patootie about it because they are making money off of it.
    Last edited by lumpy95; 2015-09-18 at 20:46.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    I've had a number of such calls and it has nothing to do with 'reissues' - it's all to do with the fact there's money to be made ... and I certainly wouldn't want to go through the significant inconvenience of changing my phone # and all that entails in a futile attempt to stop it. I say futile because these people aren't just targeting particular numbers, but are either working through numbers systematically or at random. So I expect I'd just as likely get the same calls on a new number - more so, perhaps, if they have means of identifying new numbers.
    Quite agree.
    I was getting quite a few until I told the last one that I didn't own a computer; that seemed to stop them calling.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I'm ex-Directory and have never gotten a scam call in the UK.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jellyby - you don't say where you're from - pity - but, in the UK, we have Telephone Preference Service, which runs a Do-Not-Call service, and an increasingly aggressive, though woefully underfunded, Information Commissioner's Office, who has been handing out quite attention-getting penalties, if they can pursue the offenders within UK jurisdiction.

Just once in a while, a call from "Microsoft" is genuine, see my own experience here - http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post915705

Sudo15 - you are most fortunate never to have received a scm call; I envy you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I've had a couple of unsolicited sales calls and my first question to them is "Where did you get my phone number from as I'm registered with the Telephone Preference Service".

Those in the UK know it is a criminal offence to phone anyone without first checking the number against this register - except for one guy who after ascertaining he was in the UK, sounded quite worried when I told him that and that was the last unwanted call that I've received.

So perhaps word does get around for some numbers, but there isn't a lot anyone can do to stop the scammers because they are usually phoning from far off lands.

Except for the bot calls, I think it does help if you are ex-Directory as they are probably just working their way through telephone directories.

I think I remember something about Telecom (or someone) doing something about those silent calls because I used to get the odd one, but no longer.

Thanks
    I think they actually charge to be unlisted on this side of the pond!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's a freebie with my TalkTalk provider and they also provide free caller display so I can at least see the number that is calling.

Lounger
    Thanks

Beat Microsoft support scammers

Just give them a stream of abusive swear words particularly relating to their lineage and hang up. Under no circumstances get into conversation. You might think this offensive and extreme but this has worked like a dream for me and I've never had another call.

Problem solved,easy.
    Last edited by tealover; 2015-09-24 at 15:43. Reason: Material change

Thanks
    Or just keep saying yup and give them wrong answers
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast