Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Is windows 7 laptop worth upgrading to windows 10?

I've got an old single core celeron cpu processor at 2.0 ghz & 2 gigs of ram...I know it meets the minimum requirements for windows 10, however does anyone have anything similar running 10? Also would adding 2 gigs of ram help any?

Thanks for your reply.
    g3b

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A new PC would help, that one is really old.
    What do you want to do with the PC?

cheers, Paul

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    G3B, greetings.
    I have for the fun of it, upgraded a like Toshiba lappy and it runs fine on W-10, is quite a bit nibbler too. On it, I run some old software, PF2000 and Office 2000, nary a problem. If you are going to trow it away, trow it my way.

All best wishes. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jean & Paul, I think I will give it a go then.
    g3b

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Upgraded today with only 1 issue, however that seems to be solved by a reboot. I had not audio after the install. Was fixed by rebooting. Will keep ya'll posted.
    g3b

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Is it better / faster than W7?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would have thrown Linux Lite or LXLE at the "old" laptop.
    I bet you'd be surprised.
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    G3B, cheers.
    Nice try, is it not ? Mine is also performing very nicely. Amazing OS, the reboot that you needed was enough to have it ask for the driver that was needed, you will be very pleased with this old machine still. You can throw at it all kinds of old softwares, you will again be pleasantly surprised. You should see what I run on mine !

Thanks for letting us know. All best wishes. Jean.

Thanks
    It will perform much better with Windows 10 than it ever did with windows 7.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by g3b View Post
    Also would adding 2 gigs of ram help any?
    It may hold only 2GB, put the make and model in at www.crucial.com to check what it will hold. Notebooks usually have 2 RAM slots but a few have only 1 and have seen a couple with a built-in module plus a slot for upgrading. I did have a copy of the Technical Preview on a similar Notebook but after Win10 was released moved that Notebook to Linux Mint 17. Also, the 32-bit versions of Windows will only show up to about 3.5GB in system properties, need the 64-bit version for more.

I Upgrading my Win8.1 Notebook and Win7 w/SP1 to Win10, no problems except one with a Bluetooth driver issue, Dell already had it posted on their site.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-09-30 at 20:02.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually I have already used the crucial memory finder & it will take 4gb. Can't decide if I want to increase ram or get a 120 gb ssd. I like to play around with linux distros & didn't have issues with them before I upgraded to win 10. I have poked around the bios & boot order settings and could find nothing unusual (read the windowssecret letter explaining issues with fast boot and secure boot...it doesn't even have a fast boot option). Tried the distros on my other win 7 system and they worked fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    g3b

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually I have already used the crucial memory finder & it will take 4gb. Can't decide if I want to increase ram or get a 120 gb ssd. I like to play around with linux distros & didn't have issues with them before I upgraded to win 10. I have poked around the bios & boot order settings and could find nothing unusual (read the windowssecret letter explaining issues with fast boot and secure boot...it doesn't even have a fast boot option). Tried the distros on my other win 7 system and they worked fine. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    g3b
    I like to maximize the RAM in Notebooks before playing with the drive. I've always tried to use double the stated requirements as it tends to help down the road [as I do more things]. It usually is cheaper to do the RAM than an SSD but if having the money now for an SSD it might be more prudent to go that way first. As for the fast boot or secure boot the computer's BIOS probably supports only the MBR or traditional method, not a big problem [I have a few that way] and I really don't see much performance difference but other factors influence that such as the difference between brands and models in motherboards, CPU speeds, RAM speeds, etc.

Thanks
    IMHO the SSD will yield a more noticeable bump for most uses then memory.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I like to play around with linux distros & didn't have issues with them before I upgraded to win 10
    Are you saying you can't load Linux or boot from a Linux CD?

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got an old single core celeron cpu processor at 2.0 ghz & 2 gigs of ram...I know it meets the minimum requirements for windows 10, however does anyone have anything similar running 10? Also would adding 2 gigs of ram help any?
    Before doing anything, determine just what you expect/hope to gain and what you might possibly lose.

Generally speaking, I can see little advantage to upgrading an older Win7 machine. It might work better or it might not. Some programs may be fine others may break. IOW, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

If you just want to do it because you can then go ahead, but have an image backup and a means to restore it just in case.

As to the hardware, don't spend a $ until you are certain you need to. I'd probably bank the $$ toward a new computer.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast