New Lounger
    Thanks

Still using IE9: Should I upgrade?

I use Firefox exclusively when browsing. I never use IE and only have it because it's part of Win7 OS. I currently have IE9 and still get security updates from time to time but wonder if I'm leaving myself open for some kind of exploit for not updating to IE10 or IE11. Any thoughts or comments on whether I should.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, IE9 is as high as Vista users can go and as far as I know, they seem to be doing okay with it, but it is advised that if you are going to use a particular browser that you should always use the latest version because of security issues.

I stayed with IE10 in Win 7 for a while because there were compatibility problems with my ISP's e-mail but eventually upgraded to IE11.

You can't upgrade to IE10 through Windows Updates any longer and the link I had saved for its direct download has now been pulled.

If you don't like IE11 and want to revert to IE9, rather than uninstalling IE11 in Installed Updates, it would be best to create a restore point before updating as a revert could take you back to the base IE8 and while IE9 can still be directly downloaded - that can have its own problems because of prerequisites - whatever they are.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

cyberguyjeff (2015-09-19)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberguyjeff View Post
    I use Firefox exclusively when browsing. I never use IE and only have it because it's part of Win7 OS. I currently have IE9 and still get security updates from time to time but wonder if I'm leaving myself open for some kind of exploit for not updating to IE10 or IE11. Any thoughts or comments on whether I should.
    I am now installing the 200+ updates for Win7 just upgraded over WinXP on a Notebook followed by SP1 then the updates. One of the updates is IE11, don't think it will be a problem as it hasn't been on my other Win7 computers. My plan is to continue to the Win10 Upgrade when it becomes available for that Notebook. I use Firefox or SeaMonkey on my main machines but have to keep IE as some Microsoft pages won't allow anything else, and I have run into a few sites that do the same but those are usually just a one-time visit for something specific.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Not only do I recommend IE11 over previous versions but, I, also, recommend changing that 7 to 10 where you will have choice of IE11 or the very superior Edge.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One step at a time Drew

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2015-09-21)

Thanks
    I agree with Sudo; you should upgrade to IE 11 for security reasons, because it is the latest version of IE. If there are any issues with particular websites being incompatible with IE 11, you can use Compatibility View for those websites. And with a restore point, or with a complete backup of your system, if you don't like IE 11, you can easily get back to IE9.

(My job uses Lotus Notes for our email. Lotus Notes webmail has serious issues with IE 11, but it works perfectly when I use IE 11 and Compatibility View.)

Like it or not, as you say IE is part of Windows 7. Therefore you should keep it updated for security reasons.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-09-21 at 10:51.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

cyberguyjeff (2015-09-21)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Like it or not, as you say IE is part of Windows 7. Therefore you should keep it updated for security reasons.
    Update IE or update 7? for security reasons & more

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I went forward with IE11 using MS directly rather then thru update, no issues.
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.computerworld.com/article...jan--2016.html
    In summary Microsoft supports only the latest Internet explorer beginning Jan 12, 2016
    --- IE9 on Vista SP2, 11 on Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1