Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lurker
    Thanks

Unhappy Unable to create a Recovery Drive on a Flash Drive in Win 10 Home or Pro

Lincoln Spector wrote a great article in the last Windows Secrets newsletter, "Learn to use the Windows 10 Recovery Drive." Unfortunately I cannot get Win10 to create the flash recovery drive. I am using a new Dell XPS 8700 that came with Win10 Home installed. It was obviously not a "clean install" but was upgraded from Win7 before it shipped because in the "All Control Panel Items" is the icon "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)". The 8700 is a 64-bit, x64-based processor with 16 gb of memory and a 2 tb drive running an Intel Core i7-4790 CPU@3.60 GHz. Since I wanted Win10 Pro I upgraded the Win10 Home through the Microsoft site ($99.00 with Tax $107.24). Everything went fine and the "System" screen now shows I have Windows 10 Pro and is shows I have the appropriate "Product ID." So far so good. I next took Lincoln's article and proceeded to try to create the recovery drive on a 16 gb flash drive (brand new flash drive). It runs for quite a while and I get this error message: "We can't create the recovery drive; A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." There was NO additional information. I tried this again with another "new" 16 gb flash drive. Same result. For what it is worth I also tried this on the Win10 Home BEFORE I upgraded to the Win10 Pro. Same result. Following these failures I started surfing the net to see if any others had the same problem. There must be hundreds of people (or maybe even more) with this problem based on what I found. There are some pretty weird possibilities for solving this issue but they are way beyond my pay grade (even though I am retired.) I have read Fred Langa's article, "How to clean-install a Windows 10 upgrade." Since I cannot even get a "recovery drive" and I have already updated Win10 Home to Win10 Pro I'm not sure I would know where to begin with a clean install. I also believe I would lose the software downloads that I got from Dell and installed including the Office 365 download from Microsoft when I set up the system if I did a clean install. Perhaps Lincoln or Fred can touch base with Microsoft and see if they have a possible solution in the works. The PC is useless to me unless I can be assured of the ability to "recover" should there be a problem. For now it is sitting and gathering dust. For sure I am not going to upgrade my Win7 primary system and our Dell Venue Pro 11 Tablet to Win10 for the time being. I like what I am seeing on Win10 but without an easily accessible recovery option (for a layman) Win10 is useless. By the way, except for one instance, it seems that Microsoft's support is virtually absent from all the different sites I found with people having the same problem. Sigh...ahhh for the days of the Commodore 64.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't you just love the "We can't create the recovery drive" error msg. I received this on a Gateway computer that had successfully upgraded from WIN7 Home to WIN10. I also ran Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image / ScanHealth (OK) plus CheckHealth (OK), and RestoreHealth (OK). Of course these three cmds didn't fix the problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnolla View Post
    Lincoln Spector wrote a great article in the last Windows Secrets newsletter, "Learn to use the Windows 10 Recovery Drive." Unfortunately I cannot get Win10 to create the flash recovery drive. I am using a new Dell XPS 8700 that came with Win10 Home installed. It was obviously not a "clean install" but was upgraded from Win7 before it shipped because in the "All Control Panel Items" is the icon "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)". The 8700 is a 64-bit, x64-based processor with 16 gb of memory and a 2 tb drive running an Intel Core i7-4790 CPU@3.60 GHz. Since I wanted Win10 Pro I upgraded the Win10 Home through the Microsoft site ($99.00 with Tax $107.24). Everything went fine and the "System" screen now shows I have Windows 10 Pro and is shows I have the appropriate "Product ID." So far so good. I next took Lincoln's article and proceeded to try to create the recovery drive on a 16 gb flash drive (brand new flash drive). It runs for quite a while and I get this error message: "We can't create the recovery drive; A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive." There was NO additional information. I tried this again with another "new" 16 gb flash drive. Same result. For what it is worth I also tried this on the Win10 Home BEFORE I upgraded to the Win10 Pro. Same result. Following these failures I started surfing the net to see if any others had the same problem. There must be hundreds of people (or maybe even more) with this problem based on what I found. There are some pretty weird possibilities for solving this issue but they are way beyond my pay grade (even though I am retired.) I have read Fred Langa's article, "How to clean-install a Windows 10 upgrade." Since I cannot even get a "recovery drive" and I have already updated Win10 Home to Win10 Pro I'm not sure I would know where to begin with a clean install. I also believe I would lose the software downloads that I got from Dell and installed including the Office 365 download from Microsoft when I set up the system if I did a clean install. Perhaps Lincoln or Fred can touch base with Microsoft and see if they have a possible solution in the works. The PC is useless to me unless I can be assured of the ability to "recover" should there be a problem. For now it is sitting and gathering dust. For sure I am not going to upgrade my Win7 primary system and our Dell Venue Pro 11 Tablet to Win10 for the time being. I like what I am seeing on Win10 but without an easily accessible recovery option (for a layman) Win10 is useless. By the way, except for one instance, it seems that Microsoft's support is virtually absent from all the different sites I found with people having the same problem. Sigh...ahhh for the days of the Commodore 64.
    I had a problem trying to make an windows 10 install drive. I disabled my antivirus and it worked

Thanks
    Antivirus is so yesterday! You can run fine without it. I have Defender turned off. I do run Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium. The computer runs a lot better.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Create Recovery Drive Failure

Quote Originally Posted by chas123 View Post
    I had a problem trying to make an windows 10 install drive. I disabled my antivirus and it worked
    Excellent idea to disable antivirus, but unfortunately this did not fix my problem (We can't create the recovery drive. A problem occurred while creating the recovery drive.) It is possible to create one as long as you do not attempt to back up the system files. Instead of a 16 Gb drive, all you need is a 512 Mb drive. Unless MS comes up with a better Create Recovery Drive application, I will probably have to create some sort of a mirror backup. The Create Recovery Drive worked well on two other computers that were upgraded from WIN8.1, but failed on the computer that was upgraded from WIN7. When I turned off Windows Defender, I was told that it would be disabled for a short time, but that it would eventually be turned back on. This might be something else for the forum members to investigate.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried many suggestions but I still get the message, "We can't create a recovery drive"

I've turned off antivirus, malwarebytes, tried with a blank dual layer DVD, and a new 16G USB drive. Endlessly!

Please help

jwoods
    You might try the steps in this TenForums post...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...dows-10-a.html

Note the advice on that error under Step 5 of the instructions.

Thanks
    As a workaround, keep in mind that a recovery drive made on another machine of the same Windows version and bit version will work. (Don't bother to include the recovery image, that will not work.)

And then make a Windows System Image of your computer on another flash drive or external hard drive. The two drives together will do the same thing as the recovery drive you are trying to make.

I also suspect but have not confirmed that a Windows 10 installation media (made from the MS media creation tool) would also serve to boot the computer and allow you to run image recovery from a Windows Image.
    Last edited by Vincenzo; 2015-10-18 at 11:58.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There have been prior unresolved threads on this same issue. No idea what the problem is. You might want to check the prior threads to see if any of the suggestions help you.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also cannot create a recovery drive. Upgraded a Win 7 Professional 64 bit system running on a 5 month old HP workstation to Win 10 three days ago. Using a brand new 16 GB memory stick. Tried including (and not including) system files. No luck, Message says "some system files are missing - use your Windows system disc or media."

What "system disc"!!??

This is a basic fail. How can I use an OS with no way to recover from a disc crash?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @pfeldman

Did you try the DISM commands listed in post #2? See DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption for details. Even though the page says Windows 8 it works in Windows 10.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    @pfeldman

Did you try the DISM commands listed in post #2? See DISM - Fixing Component Store Corruption for details. Even though the page says Windows 8 it works in Windows 10.

Joe
    I did try that, but the DISM reports no corrupted files.

So, I still have a Win 10 system with no way to create a recovery drive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is the USB stick formatted?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I have a similar issue. I tried about a month ago to create a recovery disk with system files on an 8GB usb2 stick. I got the same message and at the time assumed it had to do with a space issue. Microsoft message says you need at least 8GB to include system files. I assumed the issue was I ran out of space.

I just tried this on a 16GB usb2 drive and it worked. Tried it again on the 8GB and it failed. Same message as before.

Funny thing is that the 16GB stick has only 4.33GB used. So the issue on the 8GB stick isn't space.
    George

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is some more info. on the failing usb2 drive in relation to creating a system recovery disk.

I tried doing a full format as opposed to the quick format. It failed.

Capture1.JPG

So it appears that there is an issue with this USB drive. However after redoing a quick format I was able to completely fill this drive with files.

Since the full format failed at the end (based on the progress bar) and the Create system repair disk also failed at or near the end, I suspect some sort of process to close out the process (writing the MBR, making it bootable) encountered an error.

I was also able to create a Windows 10 install USB on this drive.
    Last edited by High Sierra; 2015-12-27 at 10:27. Reason: added last line
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast