3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cloud storage issue?

One issue with Cloud Storage that bothers me is that, should I lose my device (currently an iPhone) or have it stolen, the finder or thief, with access to my device, can delete any or all of my pictures. The lost images might be of sentimental value, or worse still, or evidential importance.

Do any WS Loungers know of any settings that would prevent this, forcing deletes to be made only by log in from a PC?

Moderators - does the topic of Cloud Storage warrant its own topic heading?
    Last edited by JohnFleming; 2015-09-20 at 06:05. Reason: Incomplete

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I think that situation is varies with mobile operating system. With my Windows Phone, I need to use the OneDrive app to delete files, can't do it from the Photos hub.
    In any case, I am not aware of any settings that force deletes only from certain devices or device types.

Cloud storage access was also meant to provide mobility, that is, to allow access to your files and photos and such, from your mobile device. Guess that does raise some issues.

One thing I advise is to lock your device at all times. I have set my Windows Phone to lock after 1 minute, which means access to anything requires knowing a multiple digit code. This should prevent most situations where undue access can occur. Also, there is also the possibility of locking or wiping the device remotely, in case it gets lost or stolen.

I guess it wouldn't be hard for cloud storage providers to offer the same protection they already offer to account settings or passwords - two step authentication, for example - when deleting files from storage. We'll probably get there.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    My portable computing devices have passwords. If lost or stolen I don't have to worry - and I can use the remote locator that is built in.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    One thing I advise is to lock your device at all times. I have set my Windows Phone to lock after 1 minute, which means access to anything requires knowing a multiple digit code. This should prevent most situations where undue access can occur.
    I think I'm right in saying that most, if not all all, portable devices have this auto-locking capability requring a passcode to unlock. Certainly the iPhone (mentioned by the OP) does. If this is done then I don't think there is much to be concerned about.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    One issue with Cloud Storage that bothers me is that, should I lose my device (currently an iPhone) or have it stolen, the finder or thief, with access to my device, can delete any or all of my pictures. The lost images might be of sentimental value, or worse still, or evidential importance.

Do any WS Loungers know of any settings that would prevent this, forcing deletes to be made only by log in from a PC?
    If your iphone disappears and is accessible by the finder, they can delete pictures from your iphone. As your pics are in the Cloud, anyting deleted goes into it's recycle bin and can be restored easily, unless you leave your username & password easily found.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a thought here. Another problem with unauthorised access is that someone can view all your personal stuff. You can prevent that by "encrypting" your data before uploading to the cloud storage. A free, small utility program called 7-Zip lets you put anything you want - files, photos, documents, videos, whatever - into encrypted form in a folder. You select encryption (use AES 256-bit) and choose a password. The contents of the folder can only be viewed by entering the correct password. Otherwise, the contents of the folder would appear as nonsense/unreadable. To keep it simple, think up a hard-to-guess password and use it for every encrypted folder. For example, a password like "don't-touch-my-stuff" could be written as "d0n't-t0uch-my-5tu44". The point is to make it something you can memorise and use each time.
    You could, of course, follow real security-conscious guidelines and have a different complex password for each folder, but that definitely would NOT be convenient for you.