New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Missing File History backups

I restored my Windows 8.1 laptop from a system image created on 5th September 2015. Now when I go into File History restore it shows no backups made after that date. The backups are on an external drive. Is there any way to get them back? Thanks.

Thanks
    Have you navigated to the file history folders on the external drive? The folder will be of the form "F:\FileHistory\username\pcName\Data\E\username\Do cuments". All the files in FH will have a date time stamp e.g "indexfile (2015_08_01 11_34_13 UTC).txt", with that date time that FH saved that file. If you have files later than 5 Sept then FH did update them. My understanding is that when you restore, it looks in the files called F:\FileHistory\username\pcname\Configuration\Catal og1.edb or Catalog2.edb. Mine are dated today (as expected). The are also a couple of xml files but these just point to the catalog files as well as some other info.

If the files don't have dates later than 5 September then it implies that FH had stopped working - did you have a problem with your disk? If they do have those dates then you should be able to recover the files in question, but obviously a major renaming project is likely (to remove the date string from the name). A Powershell script might be in order - there are people here who could help with that.

My understanding (and experience) is that it should allow you to restore the files in this situation.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile Thank you

Thank you, this was very helpful. I'm not sure what is happening but I have now been able to recover the files I needed.