Lounger
    Thanks

Time to upgrade?

The general advice when Windows 10 started to be available in July was "wait until the autumn and the early bugs are dealt with."

Is it time to upgrade from Windows 7 now, or should I keep waiting?

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Many millions have upgraded successfully and are running just fine. Some number of others have struggled to upgrade at all or have had serious issues after the upgrade.
    If you are comfortable waiting then wait a little longer until the next significant public release of Windows 10 - probably November.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Many millions have upgraded successfully and are running just fine. Some number of others have struggled to upgrade at all or have had serious issues after the upgrade.
    If you are comfortable waiting then wait a little longer until the next significant public release of Windows 10 - probably November.

Joe
    I have no problem waiting. November is only 6 weeks away!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We let our Windows 8.1 laptop (a Lenovo Y500) update to Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago, and a continuing string of annoying glitches has made us decide to revert back to Windows 8.1. Basically, some built-in Lenovo apps (some of which are useful to us) are broken, and Windows 10's "silent" updates keep causing problems. Every few days a new glitch appears which we try to resolve or work around. After half a dozen such annoyances we created a Win 10 System Image backup in case we want to try Win 10 again in 6 or 8 months' time, and then restored a Windows 8.1 System Image we created last month with the free version of Macrium Reflect. Restoring from a portable hard drive connected to a USB port on the laptop took about 30 minutes including a "verify" option. Now everything is working again, smooth and fast with no glitches!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Joe,

Absolutely nothing is gained by waiting. Personally, have been 100% glitch-free, problem-free ever since July 29th. Same w/ all my friends, customers & colleagues. All we do is enjoy Windows 10. It will receive its Updates on an on-going basis. There will no Service Packs, as in the past, (to wait for), it just keeps constantly evolving & tweaking itself & improving the experience for End Users as the years pass. As far as 'bugs', not seeing any.

Plus we are, still, running the Insiders Program (first) to make sure all what mainstream Users get is good.

Just take it & enjoy it. It's terrific.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-09-21 at 03:24.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

bwc (2015-09-28)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Joe,

Absolutely nothing is gained by waiting. Personally, have been 100% glitch-free, problem-free ever since July 29th. Same w/ all my friends, customers & colleagues. All we do is enjoy Windows 10. It will receive its Updates on an on-going basis. There will no Service Packs, as in the past, (to wait for), it just keeps constantly evolving & tweaking itself & improving the experience for End Users as the years pass. As far as 'bugs', not seeing any.

Plus we are, still, running the Insiders Program (first) to make sure all what mainstream Users get is good.

Just take it & enjoy it. It's terrific.
    I'm just upgraded my least important computer, and found that the legacy software I was worried about runs fine. I guess there will always be stories of failure from what must be a huge number of upgrades!

Thanks
    Take the time to back up your current set up and all it's applications and drivers.
    Far too many people overlook the obvious things like this that need to be done.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I would be inclined to say do it now (after that imaging) or wait a couple of weeks after that new big release. Just my opinion,,
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    You lose time w/out 10; you don't gain anything, changes nothing. It works, it receives Updates, just another day @ the office (small 'o'). Waiting just prolongs time w/out it instead of enjoying it.