Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Internal database 17113 event ID 7024

Hi Guys,

Could someone help me the internal database hasnt started in over a month, Windows update has been disabled and plan to run these this weekend using the WSUS. This is the first time ive used this. Im a bit concerned from reading online if the internal database doesnt work I wont be able to use the WSUS is this correct? Sorry.

Thanks
    Stephen

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your WSUS server needs a database to store its data. This is a SQL database and comes with WSUS.
    1. The WSUS management console won't work if the database is not running. Is this what you are seeing?
    2. Do you know if any machines have been contacting the WSUS server and collecting updates? Run Windows Update on a PC and see what it says.
    3. How do you have WSUS configured in the domain - you are running an Active Directory Domain aren't you?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To be honest updates havent been run for about 6 months not during my time here. When I arrived in april there was only 400mb of free space and the backups were failing. I then cloned the dc onto a make shift harddrive and transferred all the fsbo services and it worked ok. About a month ago I then wanted to restore a raid setup so I got two harddrive and used backup exec to transfer the data over but when I did I noticed the internal database wouldnt start. Anytime I try to start it now it wont start at all.

Yes some of the laptops have been collecting it anyway the domain controller and the WSUS server are two different folders?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Time to remove and re-install WSUS. You can back up the downloaded patches, but the DB needs to be running to backup the config data.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...=ws.10%29.aspx

If laptops have been collecting updates they probably go direct rather than to WSUS, or they are configured to fallback to direct if WSUS isn't available - useful when they are out of the office for extended periods.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could also troubleshoot the database start up problem. What error messages to you get in Event Viewer?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You could also troubleshoot the database start up problem. What error messages to you get in Event Viewer?

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul T sorry only getting back now,

In the event log the event IF is 7024 the message is the windows internal database (Microsoft##SSE) service terminated with services specific error 17113 (0x42d9)

The laptop seem to actually be going through the WSUS on closer examination. Seems the domain controller doesnt seem to be connecting to it anymore though. So is it not possible to download windows updates. What happens if you try?

Thanks
    Stephen

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That message may indicate the database path is incorrect.
    Does the WSUS console run / work? If so the message is not related to the WSUS SQL instance.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That message may indicate the database path is incorrect.
    Does the WSUS console run / work? If so the message is not related to the WSUS SQL instance.

cheers, Paul

These are on two different servers, Do i run this command on the domain controller or the WSUS server.

Thanks
    Stephen

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I usually run the WSUS console on the WSUS server - saves having to load a remote console.

Are you getting a database error on a server that is not the WSUS server? If so we need more details about what the database is and what errors you are getting.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I usually run the WSUS console on the WSUS server - saves having to load a remote console.

Are you getting a database error on a server that is not the WSUS server? If so we need more details about what the database is and what errors you are getting.

cheers, Paul
    Yes we have 5 servers one of these is WSUS server and a domain controller which has file services dhcp dns etc, the domain controller is the one in which throws up this error and when I check the WSUS it says that it hasnt been seen in 124 days.

Thanks
    Stephen

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I don't understand - blonde day.

Does the WSUS server have other roles?
    Check the WSUS from where and what hasn't been seen? Lots of detail please.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't understand - blonde day.

Does the WSUS server have other roles?
    Check the WSUS from where and what hasn't been seen? Lots of detail please.

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul

The WSUS server just updates the server, I am looking at the dashboard here and it says that 21 computers have not reported status for more than 30 days check computer connection issues 536 secuirty updates are waiting to be approved and 231 critical updates are waiting to be approved. It also says synchronize was attempted last night at 1:05 but the result was failed. I understand the principal of WSUS but havent really the experience of using it. Is it not very strange to have connection issues?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have confirmed that WSUS and the underlying SQL database is working. Yay!
    Now you need to approve the updates for installation. I recommend using a test pool of PCs as the target for the initial approval, then approve for all.

Connection problems are very common in WSUS. The PCs may have issues with configuration, Windows update, or just have been retired - WSUS is not very good at reporting why. Find a machine that you can test and see if that has been connecting.

Sync failure probably means the server couldn't contact MS for some reason - it may be a temporary glitch. Has the sync been working?

I would be happy to walk you through WSUS via a read only session, assuming we can sort out a suitable time, but you should have a go yourself initially. PM me if you want to try the remote view route.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You have confirmed that WSUS and the underlying SQL database is working. Yay!
    Now you need to approve the updates for installation. I recommend using a test pool of PCs as the target for the initial approval, then approve for all.

Connection problems are very common in WSUS. The PCs may have issues with configuration, Windows update, or just have been retired - WSUS is not very good at reporting why. Find a machine that you can test and see if that has been connecting.

Sync failure probably means the server couldn't contact MS for some reason - it may be a temporary glitch. Has the sync been working?

I would be happy to walk you through WSUS via a read only session, assuming we can sort out a suitable time, but you should have a go yourself initially. PM me if you want to try the remote view route.

cheers, Paul
    Hi Paul,

Its hard to understand, I think the WSUS server is ok but our domain controller is doing something strange which is why im a bit reluctant to do anything.

Have you an email address in which I could contact you on. See the attachment below regarding the internal database has quit working on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No personal email - I'd have to charge you support rates and neither of us want to go there.

The DC does not have a SQL database as standard. You must have installed something that uses one. What other software do you have on it and more importantly, why do you have other software on it?
    Your screen shot looks like you have 2 databases and one is fine, the other is probably an account issue as it's run by a user account and DCs don't have user accounts, they only have domain accounts.

cheers, Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast