Lounger
    Thanks

Angry Help! Where Did All My Settings Go?

Hi,

This morning I shut down my laptop running Windows 8.1. When I started it up and logged in tonight, all my Windows and application settings, which I have been setting up for years, seem to have vanished.

For example, my desktop wallpaper was set to the Toshiba default. When I try to run any of my installed programs that require setup, they take me to the setup wizard. I find myself going in circles. I run Thunderbird and find it doesn't know anything about my email accounts. I run Firefox and find that all my open tabs are gone, along with my other Firefox settings, and I don't have Session Manager to load a previous session. Itry to log in to the Windows Secrets lounge, but I don't remember my password. No problem, though; I have the password readily accessible in my LastPass password manager, right? Wrong! I have to go to the LastPass Web site (because all my browser extensions/addons, including LastPass, are gone. LastPass tells me it doesn't recognize my location and to check my email to confirm it. But I can't check my email because my account isn't set up! I had to use the LastPass app on my phone to find the login to get here and post.

Of course, I can set up my email account, add all my browser add-ons, and set up all my applications individually all over again, but I'd prefer not to. I have the feeling that all those settings are still on my PC; I just don't know how to restore them. Is there a way, or am I just out of luck?

Thanks!

Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like you can ignore my desperate message. I restarted again and it seems to have fixed itself. I don't know what the problem was last time but (most) things seem to be working now! I will mark the thread solved.