Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updates adding megabytes

Please excuse my obvious ignorance,if this question is silly.
    Every time I have to update certain files(e.g.Skype,VLC,Adobe Flash,etc.etc.)several megabytes are added and stored in my saved download section.
    I am wondering,whether it is possible to delete the EARLIER VERSIONS,without encountering (serious or any)difficulties?It would save a lot of space,but I wouldn't dare without some experts advice.So please,if you can,let me know whether to leave things as they are,or I can delete a few earlier versions of these files from the "download"section.
    Thanks very much for your time.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    No such thing as a silly question, there are always things to learn.

You can usually remove any files from your downloads that you don't want. Using the Windows clean up tools is the best method to do this.
    (Open Windows Explorer and right click on drive C. Select Properties > Disk cleanup.)

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-24)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You can usually remove any files from your downloads that you don't want. Using the Windows clean up tools is the best method to do this.
    (Open Windows Explorer and right click on drive C. Select Properties > Disk cleanup.)
    Does Disk Cleanup ever remove any files from your Downloads folder? I don't think so.

The entry in Disk Cleanup titled Downloaded Program Files refers to c:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files which stores temporary ActiveX controls and Java applets:

Downloaded Program Files
    These are ActiveX controls and Java applets downloaded from Web sites that are temporarily stored in the Downloaded Program Files folder.
    It's not program files or zip files that you have downloaded from other locations
    Disk Cleanup Utility

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-24)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank both of you for the reply,but I have to admit,that I didn't become any smarter.I do disc cleaning regularly(once/month or more),but those files in the "Downloads"keep multiplying.I must have as an example,at least 10 Adobe Flash files there,and many others in multiple.They don't seem to be cleaned up by the automatic disc cleaning I do.Please note,I do not dare to check any files for disc cleaning that is not AUTOMATICALLY THERE(I do include Windows update,as I use Win 7).So,in conclusion,I still don't know whether I can delete those old(some years old)other downloads,or whether that would be beneficial to added space.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Exactly what directory are you talking about?
    Do you have an image backup? If so, delete the files.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    @ macko1944

It seems fairly clear you mean the "Downloads" folder in your user account.

Downloads.jpg

...as an example, at least 10 Adobe Flash files there, and many others in multiple...
    Typically most of the files in your "Downloads" folder are very unlikely to be needed in future, so can be deleted. E.g.: those 10 "Adobe Flash files" will have been downloaded in order to upgrade Flash to the latest version, so once the upgrade has completed the downloaded file can, and should, be deleted.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly,I am referring to those files in the "Download"section that Coochin has marked.Thank you so much for this.I shall try to delete those files,because I hope they will add some space on my disc.Reason:I already had warnings twice of space needed(physical dump files or something like that).On my laptop that had Vista on it,I had the same warning time and again.I took it to a repair shop in Vancouver.They charged me for fixing it,but it wasn't fixed,the warnings kept re-appearing.So I took it to another place(Geek squad)and they completely destroyed this computer,after their "repair"it became totally unusable(even Microsoft updates were denied and also the legality of MS program on it,also most previous programs completely disappeared).So,I worry when this warning comes on,because I fear the same fate for my notebook I have left to use.This is the reason why I am trying to add more space,to avoid this "physical dump"issue.Thanks so much for the information you gave,Coochin!!!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It sounds like you need a new (bigger) hard disk. What size is your current disk?

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-25)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure this is the correct answer to your question,but my installed memory is 3GB(2.75 usable).This is an ASUS 1201N Netbook,with Win 7 Home Premium OS,Service Pack 1.I started to delete(only to Recycle Bin(in case I run into problems)some of the downloads especially those that were from before 2015 and have more recent downloads in the hope that it will free up some space.I am not computer savvy(as you likely can tell),so for me,this is just trial and error kind of action. Again thanks for taking the trouble to respond!!!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Open Windows Explorer by pressing Win/Start E at the same time.
    This will list all your disks, their size and free space.
    Post the size and free space details.

cheers, Paul

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-26)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    1944 (the BEST year, IMHO),

Deleting to the Recycle Bin won't free up space.

Zig

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zig For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-26)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,thank you for the instruction.Here is what I see with Win.Explorer:
    Disc C 54.6 GB free of 99.9 GB
    Disc.D 103 GB free of 122 GB
    I did send some 600 MB worth of older downloads to the Rec.bin,it is still sitting there,I didn't delete them in case I run into problems because of removing those files from the Download section.But,if it doesn't free up any space,i might es well ignore the Download section?Is this correct?
    Sorry for the delay in responding-I didn't get to the Forum until just now.
    Thanks for your response again!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You have sooo much space!

@macko1944:
    Two things:

1.When you 'delete' files in Windows they are moved to the Recycle Bin and still occupy the same space.
    You need to "Empty the recycle bin" to gain the space; then the files are gone for good and you get the space back.

Since you talk about old versions of installer files I think you can safely remove them for good; actually they should have been removed immediately after having been used.

You have PLENTY of space on your D: drive.

It seems to me that ASUS on your computer did what I have seen often on machines from Acer that were deigned for business use (assuming that business users have more technical know how).

They had the only disk drive in the computer split into two partitions. This results in you seeing two logical drives C: and D:

The idea behind that was that the usually smaller C: drive be used for the OS only and all data be stored on the D: drive. This is something that Windows supports natively. BUT: The user had and still has to set up this usage pattern and a bit of "computer savvy" is needed for that. AFAIK none of the manufacturers ever delivered such systems so that the D: drive would have been used automatically for all the user's data folders.

Now, what to recommend to you in your situation:

macko1944, with all due respect, I believe you should get competent help with the following; help by someone who has the time, patience and motivation to explain to you what is being done. You may even learn something in the process?

What IMHO has to be done are a few things in this general sequence:

Empty the recycle bin to get some space

Run the "Cleaner" part of CCleaner (portable version downloaded from here (caution, this is a direct download link). This will free up more space than just emptying the recycle bin but still not enough for the long run.

Check if there is ANY personal file(s) in the D: drive. If yes save them to an external storage like a USB Flash drive.

Download and install Mini Tool Partition Wizard.

Use Mini Tool PW to delete D: drive and ONLY the D: drive/partition. Don't touch any other partitions you likely will see.

Resize the C: drive to occupy all available disk space.

If earlier you saved data copy them back to where they belong.
    ------------

Grrr, I didn't think it would get this long.

Good luck and remember, YMMV, always!
    Last edited by eikelein; 2015-09-26 at 08:11. Reason: typo
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin

20. The Following User Says Thank You to eikelein For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-26)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can always choose the "do nothing" option as you have more space than you can poke several sticks at.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eikelein View Post
    @macko1944:

It seems to me that ASUS on your computer did what I have seen often on machines from Acer that were deigned for business use (assuming that business users have more technical know how).

They had the only disk drive in the computer split into two partitions. This results in you seeing two logical drives C: and D:

The idea behind that was that the usually smaller C: drive be used for the OS only and all data be stored on the D: drive. This is something that Windows supports natively. BUT: The user had and still has to set up this usage pattern and a bit of "computer savvy" is needed for that. AFAIK none of the manufacturers ever delivered such systems so that the D: drive would have been used automatically for all the user's data folders.
    !
    I don't know if that is true in this case, but if it is would not deleting the D drive potentially break stuff ASUS installed? Ok may be mostly crapware but may be some thing important. Maybe to be safe take a look at what is actually on D.

Macko I suggest this

go to a command prompt
    type D:
    type cd
    type did >> look.txt
    go to D: in explorer
    find a look.txt click to open
    select all text and copy.

come back to forum and paste it into a reply and we will look at it

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

macko1944 (2015-09-26)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast