Thanks

can't see word 2003 doc in word 2010

hi

cant see word 2003 doc [just blank] when trying to open in word 2010, so for that reason theres nothing there to convert to make it compatible. i believe u must be able to see it in order to convert it, i see a blank page in which i can type

in word and note pad its just the usual character nonsense

anyone have any ideas

thanks
    Last edited by qaz; 2015-09-23 at 12:42.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Office 2007 on Vista, Office 2010 on Win7 and Office 2013 on Win10, all can open the 97-2003 versions of .doc files. I can also open them in LibreOffice. Your Wordpad should also open them but Notepad is only a text editor, can't deal with word processor files which is why the 'machine languate' shows. If Word can't open the files could be they are corrupted, might copy them to a USB Thumb/Flash drive and try on a different computer. If the files open could be there simply is nothing in them, can happen when previously saved. Looking at the file size in Windows Explorer [Win7 and earlier] or File Explorer [Win8 and later] should give a clue as to whether the file contains data, an example one-page document may be 24KB as .doc but 14KB as .docx. The changed formattion of Office 2007 and later does make saved files smaller.
    Last edited by Berton; 2015-09-23 at 13:58.

Thanks
    thanks very much for that info...i can confirm that its well corrupted . luckily i found the backup and as u say it opens ok

m

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    You're welcome.