Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to make bootable USB flash drive?

How do I make a bootable USB flashdrive with an image of my old operating drive, in order to load it onto a new drive. I'm using Windows7.
    I don't have the windows CD, because I never got it with my computer.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use one of the free backup programs.
    Make an image to an external disk.
    Create the backup program rescue disk.
    You are now ready to recover your existing PC.

Note: most manufacturers provide a way to create a Windows disk from the machine. That way you spend the money, not them.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

nanv (2015-09-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul T for your suggestion, we've got ourselves into more problems. We need to replace the Windows7 program, as the windows repair tool keeps saying it is missing files from it, We have an original legal windows7 program, but don't have restore discs, so we are wondering if it is possible to get ahold of a full Windows7 operating system to replace the one that is in our HPdesktop. We don't want to fork out money for another windows7 program, as we already did pay for this one, when we purchased the computer.
    We also tried to update it to Windows 10 last night, but after it tried to "install" the program, it couldn't finish it, and said it was missing files. So, no luck with that either. Anyhow, thank you for what you have helped with so far.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do you have a disk backup? Either HP recovery disk or 3rd party.

Why are you attempting to fix Windows, are you getting errors?
    What steps did you take to repair Windows and what error messages did you get?
    Don't upgrade to 10 until you work out what is wrong with the PC - each time you attempt the upgrade you may be required to download W10 and that is 3GB+

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

nanv (2015-09-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Paul T , yes we were getting errors from windows, we have tried quite abit, windows troubleshooter, windows repair, but we want to thank you for your help, but the computer is now in a backroom, we have bought a new Lenovo H50 desktop, 2TB harddrive, 12GB ram, 3.50 processor, so quite a nice machine, (HOPEFULLY , lol )
    It came with Windows8.1 and we have already updated it to Windows 10.
    This machine has the option of a "oneclick repair" , would it still be necessary then to make "restore discs".
    Thanks.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You should always backup your computer, either via the recovery disks, or preferably, with a 3rd party backup tool to an external hard disk. The advantage of the backup tool and external disk is you have a copy of your most recent files without having to re-create the recovery disks every time.

Now that you have reliable computing it is time to drag the old machine out and fix it. Once fixed it would make an excellent present or second machine. Let us know if you want more help getting it running.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

nanv (2015-09-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As you have bought a Lenovo computer, you should check to see if it came with Superfish.

It looks like yours could be among the models affected https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/pro...rity/superfish but this is a quick way of checking https://filippo.io/Badfish/

This article is a walk through for uninstalling it from a Win 8.1 machine.

http://news.lenovo.com/images/20034/...structions.pdf

As for your Win 7 machine - perhaps an offboot sfc /scannow could sort that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ompt-boot.html

For that you would need to boot up with a Win 7 SP1 install disk but as you don't have one, I can burn and send you a couple of those.

Just PM me your address and whether you are using a 32 or 64 bit version of Win 7 if you are interested.

You wouldn't be able to do a repair install with it as you need a valid retail key to active to a genuine install, but it will work for repair purposes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

nanv (2015-09-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both you , Paul T. and Sudo15,

Paul T. we will definitely make a backup on a seperate drive then, and with the help of Sudo15, hopefully we will be able to get the old machine working again too.

Sudo15, as for what you posted about this "superfish" thing, we have searched in the programs, but can't find anything that is called "superfish", I am assuming this is a game???

Thanks again to both of you.

Thanks
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RussB For This Useful Post:

nanv (2015-09-29)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Nancy,

Superfish is anything but a game - you would have seen this article if you had clicked on the Superfish Hyperlink in my Post #7.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superfish

Clicking on this link would have told you at a glance if you had Superfish or PrivDog installed.

https://filippo.io/Badfish/

As an additional safeguard, a scan with the free version of MBAM would probably pick up if they are there.

Go into Settings/Detection and Protection and use the dropdowns to treat PuPs and PuMs as malware before the scan.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

One more thing, I cannot reply to your PM because you have opted out of receiving them.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-09-28 at 16:57.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

nanv (2015-09-29)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, as I mentioned, that we had scanned and ran that hyperlink for Superfish and the other "baddies", but as mentioned in a previous post from me, we did already update to Windows10 on the Lenovo, now our question is, could those things still be on the other operating system, windows8.1, or does this scan check it on both systems?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nanv View Post
    Sudo15, as I mentioned, that we had scanned and ran that hyperlink for Superfish and the other "baddies",
    You didn't mention that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So sorry I thought I had posted it here, must have PM it to Sudo15.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Lenovo were supposed to have removed it from newer machines, but if you've followed the removal steps and there's no sign of it then you should be okay.

@ Bruce - Nancy had voiced her concerns over Superfish in PMs dealing with sending her the Win 7 bootable disks, to which I referred her to the links I had already posted.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Tony, for explaining to Bruce.
    I don't think I wrote it correctly about "running" that link, the one link that you posted does an instant check to see if your computer is infected with that Superfish and those other ones, That is the one I was referring to, that we had "run" that one to see if....... we had that on our computer, when it said that we did not have it on our computer, there was no reason to run or take the steps for the "removal" .
    The only thing we were wondering about, was that we had already updated the new Lenovo computer to Windows10, and would this "check" that this program did, would that cover the Windows 8.1 also??
    Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast