New Lounger
    Thanks

Searching date range and file word with Windows Explorer - Windows 7

Hi All,

I've just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 and the Windows Explorer (WE) search functions operate quite differently.

If I wanted to search for all documents created from say 1/1/2003 to 8/14/2012 and/or for all documents created in that date range with a certain word in the file like popcorn, how it that now done?

All I see is a calendar that drops down and you can click on a particular
    date or earlier this month, earlier this year, etc. but how do you set the date range and then add a keyword to search for during those dates?

Thanks so much!

Thanks
    I am just getting used to W7 too.
    A left click on the search box gives a date modified option. From the calendar drop down you may drag the mouse across the dates or once the datemodified:‎ appears just type in the date range,

mine looks like this:

datemodified:‎9/‎22/‎2015 .. ‎9/‎24/‎2015

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The challenge is for date ranges beyond the current year. Ex. 2/2/2003 - 9/7/2011 while including a file word name so its not just all files created during that date range but only those files with a certain word in those files.

XP's WE worked fine and they tossed the baby with the bathwater.

Thanks.

Thanks
    I am certainly not gonna say I LIKE the new search (I will likely install a 3rd party search because of it) but you CAN type in the date range. Try it!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In the search box I typed in the word "because' without quotes and then I clicked the date modified box and typed in 1/2/2011 - 9/20/2014 and it found nothing. Because is a common word so it should have found at least one file. I then tried a word I've used many times over the past 5 years and it found nothing.

Are you clicking the date modified box? Or just typing in the date range following the word to be searched in that search box?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eager to learn View Post
    In the search box I typed in the word "because' without quotes and then I clicked the date modified box and typed in 1/2/2011 - 9/20/2014 and it found nothing. Because is a common word so it should have found at least one file. I then tried a word I've used many times over the past 5 years and it found nothing.

Are you clicking the date modified box? Or just typing in the date range following the word to be searched in that search box?
    I clicked the date modified box. Did you notice the two .. between dates not -?

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    I clicked the date modified box. Did you notice the two .. between dates not -?

Did you notice - not - there is a keyword search term in addition to the date search ?

Thanks
    Yes
    Did you try it with the format
    datemodified:2/2/2011 .. ‎9/‎26/‎2015

?
    Works for me!

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I visited the search box and typed in the word because and then immediately followed that by typing in 2/2/2011-9/‎26/‎2015 in that same search box and it found nothing. I then typed in the word because and then clicked the "date search box" which words then appear in that search box after the word because and I then typed in those dates and it found nothing almost immediately.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

wavy (2015-09-27)

Thanks
    I visited the search box and typed in the word because and then immediately followed that by typing in 2/2/2011-9/‎26/‎2015 in that same search box and it found nothing. I then typed in the word because and then clicked the "date search box" which words then appear in that search box after the word because and I then typed in those dates and it found nothing almost immediately.
    Look again. Where I have " .. " you have "-" . That does not work. Blame MS, it is counter intuitive that a dash does not work but it does not.

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you typing in the search word, then clicking the date modified box and then typing in the first date followed immediately (no space) with 2 periods followed immediately (no space) by the last date?

I typed in the first date hit the space bar then typed in 2 periods then hit the space bar and then typed in the last date and it found nothing.

Thank you.

Thanks
    etl
    2 spaces infront and 2 behind the ..
    I can copy and paste this directly into the search bar and it works

datemodified:2/2/2011 .. 9/‎26/‎2015

I have just noted that if you include the final space at the end of that you get a blank search bar that gets a bunch of results, I have no idea what the filter actually is but does seem to work too. Curious!

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, that works!!!

Thank you so much for figuring that all out and for sharing it and for all your kind patience. I'll share this with so many other W7 users I know who've been so frustrated with searching with WE 7. MS should have kept the old WE from XP as this is not an upgrade or improvement.

Thank you again for all your kind help.

Best to you.

Thanks
    Hey, that works!!!

Thank you so much for figuring that all out and for sharing it and for all your kind patience. I'll share this with so many other W7 users I know who've been so frustrated with searching with WE 7. MS should have kept the old WE from XP as this is not an upgrade or improvement.

Thank you again for all your kind help.

Best to you.
    You are welcome and I agree the XP search was much easier to use.
    And thanks to Sudo for that howto link. I am wondering why they do not offer all the options from the drop down list when you first start your search, its a PITA. Gotta check how this works on 8 and 10 when I get a chance.

David