New Lounger
    Thanks

Processor good for games?

Hello, I am trying build a gaming computer. And I was wondering if Intel Pentium G3250 3.20 GHz processor is good for gaming?

Thank you

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CayDub17 View Post
    Hello, I am trying build a gaming computer. And I was wondering if Intel Pentium G3250 3.20 GHz processor is good for gaming?

Thank you
    http://ark.intel.com/products/83538/...Cache-3_20-GHz
    I think it would make a good beginning gaming computer, it came out a year ago. But it is only a dual-core which makes it somewhat cheaper than newer CPUs. Most I see with gamers is they want the latest, greatest, fastest machines. I've been dealing with a very top end computer a client's grandson built for him with an AMD 4.5GHz CPU and 16GB RAM, actually a bit much for what he does.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Tom's Hardware has a series of self build articles covering various systems and budgets.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/t/build-your-own/

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    That processor should be fine.
    Gaming doesn't require a lot of processor cores and two will do the job.
    Just don't skimp on a decent GPU card.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-10-01)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    While i wouldn't want to gainsay Clint's always excellent advice there have been some recent developments in gaming you should take into consideration. Probably the most significant is that many (if not all) new games for PC will benefit from the 4 cores of an Intel Core i5 processor. While it's true that the graphics card does the "heavy lifting" when playing a game it's also true that the processor needs to be powerful enough to not be a bottleneck when you're playing a game. The problem is that you'll have to spend three times as much to get that improvement. The Pentium G3250 is currently around $59 while the Core i5-4430 is around $189. However, you should NOT downgrade the graphics card in order to afford the higher priced processor. So, if you can afford to spend the extra $$$ to buy a Core i5, by all means go for it. If you're on a tight budget then stick with the G3250. Also, be sure to get 2x4GB of RAM (total 8GB). The prices are pretty low right now for DDR3-1600.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by starvinmarvin View Post
    there have been some recent developments in gaming you should take into consideration.
    Agreed. Of course, it depends what kind of games the OP be playing. Assuming recent or new 'big' games, then quad core is the way to go. I've seen various threads saying that a number of 2015 releases won't even launch without a quad core, and that dual core are being quickly phased out of even low-end gaming machines.

It's not necessarily that all the games technically need 4 cores, from what I read it often has to do with ports of console games which haven't been properly rewritten or optimized for PC--the 4th generation of consoles have 8-core processors, although these are weaker than 4-core PCs with a good graphics card.

There are some games which do really benefit from extra cores on PC, such as the latest Battlefield and Civilization. If I understand correctly, extra CPU power is also beneficial in online games like World of Warcraft, and I'm guessing maybe also in online multiplayer.

I wouldn't bother with 6- or 8-core though, there's no indication that they'll be any general benefit to gaming for years yet. If you don't plan to overclock, consider a Xeon CPU from Intel. It's basically an i7 for i5 price, because it doesn't have overclocking or onboard graphics. The motherboard for Xeon is cheaper than for an overclocking CPU, and the lower heat generated means the standard cooling [heatsink & fan] will do fine. My last build 10 months ago has a Xeon, and it's been playing Far Cry 4 and Civilization 4 perfectly.

As the guys said, the graphics card is the biggie in a gaming machine. Don't skimp on that for a better CPU, if your budget is tight. 8gig of RAM will do fine, and a SSD will only help in special cases, so lower priority on a tight budget.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2015-10-10 at 15:10.