Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

How to avoid Office 2016?

I have an Office 365 subscription. After many hours of work I now know how to do some basic things in Office 2013. I do NOT want Office 2016.

How do I stop Microsoft forcing me to install Office 2016 and thus uninstalling Office 2013?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aquinas50 View Post
    I have an Office 365 subscription. After many hours of work I now know how to do some basic things in Office 2013. I do NOT want Office 2016.

How do I stop Microsoft forcing me to install Office 2016 and thus uninstalling Office 2013?
    I installed Office 2013 on Win8.1, now Upgraded to Win10. I have no interaction with Office 365. I did get a copy of Office 365 with my Dell Venue 8 Tablet but haven't installed it yet. Since Office 365 is a subscription it may not be possible to avoid updates, part of the problem is the requirement for a computer with Office 365 to be connected to the Internet at least once a month so as to update itself [went through that with a client that travels a lot].

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The link says that for the ProPlus version of the subscription one can keep on using Office 2013 until October 2016. I just hope that the individual user won't be forced to update to Office 2016 before October 2016, by which time some of the bugs in Office 2016 will have been removed, we hope.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Office 2016 will be pushed as part of a regular Office update. That is part of the deal with Office 365. Not sure you have a choice.

Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    I take it that you were not familiar with Office 2013 and have spent a lot of time learning the funtionality of some or all of its components (Word, Excel) etc. I suggest you are concerned unnecessarily. There is some difference in the on-screen appearance of the 2016 applications but the basic day-to-day functionality has not changed.

I don't think you will have a problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for all the replies. I shall try to put off Office 2016 until there is a Dummies book on Word 2016. If my boss allows it, I think I'll use Google Docs!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Many thanks for all the replies. I shall try to put off Office 2016 until there is a Dummies book on Word 2016. If my boss allows it, I think I'll use Google Docs!
    Well I have a Office365 subscription and it so happened that I got a new laptop and when I went to download Office, it was the 2016 version. I use mostly Outlook, OneNote, Excel and Word, in this order. I haven't looked at what changed and what did not change, but I can tell you that, for my daily usage, I see no relevant changes. If anything, Office 2016 tries to be a bit more intuitive in a couple circumstances, but you can be sure that you won't need to learn everything all over again.

I must also say that I don't understand the willingness to change to Google Docs. Not only it's less featured, but if the problem is the knowledge about the UI, how is changing to a completely different UI any better than using Office 2016?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree ruirib. I have stuck with Office so far as I used it at work a lot (even though, over several versions, MS have changed the interface enough that many people probably went to Google Docs anyway <g>).

K

Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    I must also say that I don't understand the willingness to change to Google Docs. Not only it's less featured, but if the problem is the knowledge about the UI, how is changing to a completely different UI any better than using Office 2016?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that if you want to stick with a particular version, then you should purchase the desktop version.

One of the main features of Office 365 is that you have a perpetually updated/upgraded version of Office, as opposed to the standard desktop version. New features will be added and the version will be upgraded as the upgrades become available. This is the same model MS is using with Win10.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    The reason someone might want to stick with the Office 2013 subscription ATM is that Office 2016 has been so full of bugs it might be classed as beta software and they want to wait till the bugs have been squashed, instead of finding the upgrade breaks things that work in Office 2013...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The other reason (apart from any bugs in the 2016 version) is that (from what I can see) is that 2016 seems to be more about work collaboration. Being retired, that has little interest to me. I have 2013 installed, no 365 here.

K

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    The reason someone might want to stick with the Office 2013 subscription ATM is that Office 2016 has been so full of bugs it might be classed as beta software and they want to wait till the bugs have been squashed, instead of finding the upgrade breaks things that work in Office 2013...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    The reason someone might want to stick with the Office 2013 subscription ATM is <snip>
    Unless I am mistaken, there is no way to stick with Office 2013 if you have Office 365. As I understand it, traditional versions will disappear (or currently are disappearing) - you have Office 365, not Office 2013/365 or Office 365/2016, etc. You are basically renting Office and the landlord (Microsoft) promises to keep everything in good working order (fix bugs) and to routinely slap on a fresh coat of paint (upgrade features).
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    If Office 365 (currently equivalent to 2016) is continually updated, will it ever be bug-free? If it is continually being updated, the possibility (probability?) is there that new bugs will be continually introduced.

I am not comfortable with the "work in progress" mode; I prefer the more static, traditional software package.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast