Thanks

Decertifying the worst voting machine in the US

I just came across-ed this article from earlier in the year. I have never been a fan of electronic voting machines besides the security risks I just liked pulling that lever that cast my vote.. But this is incredible!

https://freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/j...ine-in-the-us/
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    I hope I don't start a political discussion here, but I also prefer the old-fashioned kind of voting machine.

When it's all digital, a capable hacker can often monkey with the results, without anyone knowing about it. In fact, I've heard of cases where the machine will default to a particular candidate, and even sometimes it is impossible to select someone other than that default candidate. (If that ever happened to me, I would ask for help from the attendant, in a loud voice, so that everyone in the room is aware of the problem.)

When the machine is mechanical, with a paper trail of all events which occurred with the machine, then regular folks can inspect it and see what happened.

Digital is nice for many things; but sometimes we need to use older technology because it is easier to find out if someone tampered with the process.

Thanks
    One of the reasons often given for the move to digital was that the machines were aging. What could it take to refurbish one ?? A couple of linkages, a bearing or two may be a bit of oil. I have always thought it payola that influenced the politicos, just SOP for them...

I remember the first time I used the new scanner type machines they had a font on the paper I could barely read and a bit confusing on top of that. And I still like that kurplunk sound!!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the old machines were open to fraud too
    not as easy as the pc based ones

the only correct system is marking the paper ballot and putting it into an OCR

you get an instant count
    but you also have the ORIGINAL SOURCE votes for recounts

in the past all they recounted was the number on the machines

we told govt these machines were bad
    but they went ahead anyway
    the owner of voting machine company was a convicted felon
    for the ones our county bough

now they have dumped them all and bought ocr which is what they should have done initially

Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I hope I don't start a political discussion here, but I also prefer the old-fashioned kind of voting machine.

When it's all digital, a capable hacker can often monkey with the results, without anyone knowing about it. In fact, I've heard of cases where the machine will default to a particular candidate, and even sometimes it is impossible to select someone other than that default candidate. (If that ever happened to me, I would ask for help from the attendant, in a loud voice, so that everyone in the room is aware of the problem.)

When the machine is mechanical, with a paper trail of all events which occurred with the machine, then regular folks can inspect it and see what happened.

Digital is nice for many things; but sometimes we need to use older technology because it is easier to find out if someone tampered with the process.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the told us it was to make it easier for handicapped voters
    they could take a machine out to the car in front of teh polling place for them to use

the old machines were not a problem
    except that they could be rigged too , with more work
    and they did not keep the original ballots for recount
    just a number which may or may not be correct or faked

Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    One of the reasons often given for the move to digital was that the machines were aging. What could it take to refurbish one ?? A couple of linkages, a bearing or two may be a bit of oil. I have always thought it payola that influenced the politicos, just SOP for them...

I remember the first time I used the new scanner type machines they had a font on the paper I could barely read and a bit confusing on top of that. And I still like that kurplunk sound!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    the old machines were open to fraud too
    not as easy as the pc based ones

the only correct system is marking the paper ballot and putting it into an OCR

you get an instant count
    but you also have the ORIGINAL SOURCE votes for recounts

in the past all they recounted was the number on the machines

we told govt these machines were bad
    but they went ahead anyway
    the owner of voting machine company was a convicted felon
    for the ones our county bough

now they have dumped them all and bought ocr which is what they should have done initially

Quote Originally Posted by speedball View Post
    the told us it was to make it easier for handicapped voters
    they could take a machine out to the car in front of teh polling place for them to use

the old machines were not a problem
    except that they could be rigged too , with more work
    and they did not keep the original ballots for recount
    just a number which may or may not be correct or faked
    Yeah you say OCR I say scanner, I suspect there is no OCR going on just reading boxes checked.
    I have never heard on the mechanical ones being hacked. And there is a paper trail remember Chad Gate?? At least the ones in FL. I guess it could be hacked by putting the wrong labels over the little levers, I have seen mistakes made there.

and an added thought, the scanner/ocr type setup has a paper trail but I don't believe the paper part is routinely counted except under unusual circumstances.
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-09-24 at 17:55.
    David