Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sub-folders in Windows Explorer Favorites?

Is there a way to define sub-folders in the Favorites folder? This is one of those questions whose answer seems to be "of course" until you try to figure out how to do it!

I'm in a situation where my "favorites" are becoming unwieldy, and they are starting to lose their advantage of being easy to find.

Thanks
    On menu toolbar click favorites >> organize and you will see new folder option.. At least on MSIE 10. I am just not liking it at all I can't get the Bookmarks side bar on w/ 1 click. Just like in the newer FF only worse.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, but I'm not sure what you mean by menu toolbar. There's an Organize button under the menu that might be considered a one-item toolbar, but it doesn't have a New Folder option in it. Perhaps this is something that's new in Windows 10.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There might be a better way that will be suggested, but what I do (and I have thousands of Favorites) is:
    Open up Windows Explorer
    Click on Favorites
    Set up new folders, rename them, organize my Favorites to my heart's content
    Hope this helps,
    Dick

Thanks
    At the top of the explorer screen right click you should see a popup box that offers you choices by clicking on them. Make sure the 'Menu Bar' option has a check on it. If not click.

You should see, if all is going well another band at the top of IE. You should now be able to click on Favorites there. You can then click on Organize.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dick-Y, wavy, I appreciate your efforts to help, but your instructions do not make sense to me. Perhaps you are each omitting some essential step that to you seems too obvious to mention.

Dick-Y: You appear to be telling me to do what I asked how to do, without telling me how to do it. When I click on Favorites, W.E. simply displays the favorites in the contents pane. Perhaps you mean right click to open a context menu. I tried this when I first recognized the problem. I hoped the menu would have an Add > New folder item, but it does not. It has: Collapse, Sort by name, Restore favorite links, Open in new window, Add current location to favorites. Perhaps you have made this menu display an Add > New folder option. How?

wavy, I know how to make the menu visible by selecting Organize > Layout > Menu bar. (Actually I had to look it up again because I've worked with the menu bar visible for so long that I couldn't remember how to make it so!) I don't see anything like "a band at the top of IE." I don't think you mean the toolbar that begins with "Organize," because that's visible whether the menu bar is visible or not, and as far as I can see it does not help with this. Perhaps there's another way to display the menu bar that also displays this band you mentioned, but your instructions are not definite enough to tell me how to do it. Depending on where I click "at the top of the explorer screen," I get the window's context menu (Restore, Move, Size,...), the pathname context menu (Copy address, Copy address as text,...), the toolbar context menu (one empty entry and "Lock the toolbars"), or nothing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There are two ways to get to Organize, New Folder in Internet Explorer:

Click the Favorites star icon, then change the drop down from Add to favorites to Organize favorites...

Click Favorites on the menu bar, then Organize favorites...

In Windows Explorer, right-click in the Favorites folder has New > Folder.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-09-30 at 08:44.

Thanks
    Just had a look for this and there doesn't seem to be any way of adding submenus to favourites. I found this page to tell you how to add programs to favourites (normally not allowed).

I would ask the question why you have so many favourites though. As you say, when you have so many then they become unwieldy.

If you were on win 8.1 or 10, then you could have a folder with links to your favourite folders (and files) and put it on the start screen. I think it could go on the task bar (at the right hand side) as well.

I also found this page which might give you some alternatives.

Hope this helps

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    BruceR, those instructions too do not make sense.

Click the Favorites star icon, then change the drop down from Add to favorites to Organize favorites...
    You must mean right click, since click doesn't open a context menu (dropdown). But it's not clear what "change the drop down" means, and the context menu doesn't have either an "Add to favorites" or an "Organize favorites" item." (There is an "Add current location to Favorites" item, which makes no sense; how can one add Favorites to Favorites? I tried it and it actually does that, but it still makes no sense.)

I wondered whether "the drop down" referred to the dropdown menu under the Organize button. But it too has nothing like an Add to favorites or Organize favorites item.

Click Favorites on the menu bar, then Organize favorites...
    Again, this doesn't make sense to me. There is no Favorites item on the menu bar, or any of its menus. And I can't find an "Organize favorites" menu command or button anywhere.

access-mdb, I'm afraid that your answer is looking more and more like the correct one. To answer your question about why I have so many favorites... well... because I need them. More specifically, one recurring task in my job involves a 25-step process that refers to five different groups of directories in widely separated parts of the file system. I used to open five different Windows Explorers, but I had trouble remembering which was which. Now I open just two and switch them from one favorite to another as I step through the process; it's much easier. But what with the various other tasks I perform I now have 15 favorites, and extending the "favorites" approach to other tasks I perform would oblige me to define more. That would defeat the purpose unless I could organize them in folders by task.

Reorganizing the file system is not an option because it's not mine. I share it with the other people on my team. Moving to Windows 10 is also not an option; we won't be allowed to do that until the IT department says it's time (and then we won't have any choice!).

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsachs177 View Post
    BruceR, those instructions too do not make sense.

You must mean right click, since click doesn't open a context menu (dropdown). But it's not clear what "change the drop down" means, and the context menu doesn't have either an "Add to favorites" or an "Organize favorites" item." (There is an "Add current location to Favorites" item, which makes no sense; how can one add Favorites to Favorites? I tried it and it actually does that, but it still makes no sense.)

I wondered whether "the drop down" referred to the dropdown menu under the Organize button. But it too has nothing like an Add to favorites or Organize favorites item.

Again, this doesn't make sense to me. There is no Favorites item on the menu bar, or any of its menus. And I can't find an "Organize favorites" menu command or button anywhere.
    Sorry. My suggestions were for Internet Explorer Favorites, not Windows Explorer; even though you had that in the topic title.

(I was led astray by wavy, whose two answers were also for IE favorites. )

It's a shame that Microsoft called two different things Favorites in Windows 7; probably why File Explorer in Windows 10 has Quick Access instead of Favorites.

I don't think you can have sub-folders in Windows Explorer Favorites; but you could create a new library in the next section down and create folders there:

How To Add Folders To Windows Explorer Favorites In Windows 7

Thanks
    Untitled.png

Can you get here?
    I had a whole page written out and got a BSOD on my new box arrrg! So I am keeping it brief.

Untitled.png
    David

Thanks
    Ok just reread first post and realized I had been assuming it was IE you were talking about forget everything I said, I will try to too

In my defense the 2 favorites used to be the same in XP..
    Last edited by wavy; 2015-10-01 at 13:16. Reason: defense
    David

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post

(I was led astray by wavy, whose two answers were also for IE favorites. )

It's a shame [/URL]
    Oh Oh playing the shame game
    David

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Libraries instead of favorites. It seemed like a perfect solution... until I tried it and found that libraries don't point to folders, they contain folders.

So I can create a folder named "Publish process" and put 15 shortcuts in it, but then I have to include the folder in a new library, not point the library to the folder. And every time I want one of the shortcuts, I will have to go through an extra layer of hierarchy to get it.

Or I can create a library named "Publish process" and put 15 folders in it directly. But as I library-ize more and more processes, I'll have more and more libraries at the top level of the library tree... always visible, whether I want to see them or not.

This may sound like the "Won't use it unless it's perfect" syndrome, and it is, in a way. But I'll use this stuff hundreds of times a day, so cumulatively, anything short of perfection will hurt.

I'll have to think about this some more. It's not clear to me yet which variation is less imperfect!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You couldn't have a Processes library with a Publish and WhateverElse folders containing shortcuts, which could remain open in the left navigation pane?

You could also try creating folders with shortcuts at c:\Users\YOURNAME\Links which is where Windows Explorer Favorites are stored.

(I haven't got Windows 7 available at present to see what's possible.)
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-10-01 at 18:33.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast