5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Damage from Open Office file

Just had a call from a friend who said she uses Open Office, and received an OO document file via email from a friend of hers. She opened the file, and now whenever she tries to open her OWN OO files, she gets asked for her name and password (and she hadn't been password-protecting her files before). She uses AVG for antivirus, and doesn't remember getting any warning from it either when she got the email with the attached file or when she opened the file. I checked the OO website, and about all I found was an admonishment not to open a file unless you're sure you know the sender Anyone got an idea what might be going on, and how to fix it?

Thanks
    Password protection implies encryption. I hope your friend hasn't been hit with an encryption virus, such as Crypto Locker.

If her computer has become infected, it may not be possible to fix whatever files are now requiring passwords; but the infection can be removed from the computer. Here is some information which will be helpful.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-09-24 at 15:10.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Files from friends is one of the best ways of persuading you to be less careful about what you open / install.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Password protection implies encryption. I hope your friend hasn't been hit with an encryption virus, such as Crypto Locker.

If her computer has become infected, it may not be possible to fix whatever files are now requiring passwords; but the infection can be removed from the computer. Here is some information which will be helpful.
    Since the problem is only with Open Office files, I don't think it's anything like Crypto Locker. More likely some macro is now running that shouldn't be, or the default template for documents has been replaced by one which generates the name and password request. I'm heading over to her house to run some "standard" virus and malware removal programs, but I'll be surprised if they'll get rid of this problem. Open Office's documentation in this area is pretty sketchy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Turned out to be "operator error." Apparently Open Office decided to upgrade itself, and the window she was getting asking for her name and password was the last step in the upgrade process. Nothing in the window indicated that the password was needed ONLY if she wanted to password-protect her OO files. For some reason the upgrade was only to OO 3.3, and I knew from my investigation of OO that the latest version is 4.1.1. So I downloaded that version and installed it, and she is back in business.