New Lounger
    Thanks

The File cannot be opened because of problems with the contents

Spent a good bit of time working on this and it was pretty much complete. Was going to open it to make one more change and call it done when it shut down Word.

When I tried to open it again, I got a warning message that the document "caused a serious error the last time it was opened. Would you like to continue opening it?"

I clicked yes and got:

"The file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

I've seen other threads about this but last posts were a while ago and the fixes are beyond my knowledge. YOC Assessment (Updated 9-24 for spaces to put revisions-updates).docx

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Make a backup before you proceed>

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wavy For This Useful Post:

smuggi123 (2015-09-25)

Thanks
    Welcome to the Windows Secrets Lounge!

You didn't say which version of Word you are using; my comments will be based on Word 2007, but they will probably work for the version of Word that you are using.

Word may have done an auto-save of the document -- I believe this will give you the best chance of recovering the document.
    Also, Word might have made a snapshot of the document when it crashed -- this one doesn't sound very hopeful.

Click File / Options / Save. Here you will see the AutoRecover File Location and the Default File Location. (You can also see how often Word does an autobackup of the file.)

You need to look in both of these locations. Look for any files which have the right time and date (i.e. at or right before when Word crashed), as well as size, for the file you were working on. (Disregard size, if you don't know how big it was.)

If you see anything in these two folders which is close to the right time, copy it, and then rename the copy to <filename>.docx. Then open Word, and then try to open anything you named <filename>.docx.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2015-09-24 at 15:00.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

smuggi123 (2015-09-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, y'all.

Windows 10.

When I right click the file, there is an option to "restore previous versions". I click on that and then it says no previous versions.

I was working off another form so I won't have to go back to scratch. Any ideas on what I did that caused this so maybe I can avoid it from happening again? It was a form with a lot of "plain text content controls". Did I use too many or use them in the wrong way?

Thanks
    I still don't know which version of Word you are using. But if it's an older version (e.g. 2007), there may be some incompatibility with Windows 10, a brand new operating system.

All I can say for sure is that you should save the file everytime you make a change. And you should set autobackup to be every 2 to 3 minutes.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

smuggi123 (2015-09-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Mr Jim,
    I was saving revisions with dates included in the filename to keep track. This time I just did a lot of work on a revision, almost making a whole new form. I was able to go back to a previous version and start a couple of hours work over again. Thanks for telling me about setting autobackup to every few minutes. It was a downer to see the option to go to a previous version and have no previous versions saved. First thing I'm going to do when I get to my office computer. You live and learn. At least it wasn't something that I worked all day on!

Thanks again everybody for the useful knowledge!

Thanks
    One time one of my clients hired a new employee, so I had to set up a previous employee's computer for the new one. For some unknown reason, I erased the profile of the previous employee, deleting some of his work in the process! It took my client about seven hours to redo the lost work, so I had to give her seven hours of free computer work. I immediately set her up on Memeo autobackup, and I set up her AutoCAD to do autobackups every few minutes, all written to two separate hard drives.

Memeo continually monitors whichever folders you specify, and any changes are backed up immediately, including the AutoCAD regular and autobackup files. So she always had several copies of the last three versions of all critical files on two separate hard drives.

In addition to that, I did a monthly full backup of everything using Easeus Todo Backup.