New Lounger
    Thanks

Public hotspot logon with range extender?

I wish to purchase a WiFi range extender to use in my camper. Many campgrounds provide free wifi, but the signal is weak unless you're right next to the office. I also want to do secure online banking, so I'll need something that creates a new, secure, access point - something like the D-Link Wireless AC1200 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Range Extender & Access Point (DAP-1650).

My question is this: These semi-public hotspots usually have a logon page or, at least, a page where you have to accept their terms and conditions. I am assuming that I would:
    1. Logon to MY access point as administrator and configure to connect to the campground wifi.
    2. Logon to MY access point as a user requesting internet access.
    3. Logon and/or accept the campground's web page.

Is this correct?

My concern is whether MY access point will get hung up attempting to connect to the CAMPGROUND's access point because it doesn't respond to the campground's logon/accept page, i.e., I never see this page on my laptop.

Thanks
    However you do it you will need a VPN doing banking with out one over public wifi would be extremely foolish IMHO. Maybe a little wifi to go that uses a cell connection when you are booted to a live Linux CD/USB would be a better way to go. The regular OS may get infected but your banking would be safe. FWIW I have never done online banking my bank is just down the street.
    I think to actually give you an answer to you question I don't you would have a problem. I think they can be set to bridge mode. Some one with actual experience with these should chime in with more info.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentrider View Post

Is this correct?

My concern is whether MY access point will get hung up attempting to connect to the CAMPGROUND's access point because it doesn't respond to the campground's logon/accept page, i.e., I never see this page on my laptop.
    Missed that part. Did you set up some kind of auto logon?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry; what I meant was if my access point doesn't connect to the campground's wifi because it doesn't respond to the logon/accept page. In this case, I wouldn't see the page on my laptop as I normally would if I were trying to connect to the campground wifi directly from my laptop.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You configure the repeater to "bridge" the connections. You do not want the repeater to login to the camp site.

You may also need a "cantenna".
    http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...antenna-684073

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    You configure the repeater to "bridge" the connections. You do not want the repeater to login to the camp site.

You may also need a "cantenna".
    http://www.techradar.com/news/comput...antenna-684073

cheers, Paul
    Actually if he gets a good omni directional antenna via a usb wifi device he may not need a repeater. And a thought, where are you planning on plugging that repeater it??

David

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the help; I think I found the answer on the D-Link Forum. Thread forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=53437.0 answers a similar question:

Q. "Certain Wi-Fi Hotspots in hotels, airports, coffee shops, etc. require additional info to be entered on their logon page before internet access is granted. For example, username, passwords, credit card numbers, or perhaps just an "agreement" statement checked.

How do you enter this info when connecting the DIR-506L to this type of Hotspot"

A. "Once I configured my DIR-506L to connect to the restaurant's internet hotspot, I still wasn't able to connect to the weather.com web page from my laptop which was connected to the DIR-506L via Wi-Fi. The weather.com page and other public pages all timed out.

However, I tried a different browser from the same laptop, and this time I was redirected to the restaurant's landing/login page. Once I accepted this page I could access public web pages from both browsers.

Then I connected my iPhone to the DIR-506L, and it could now also access the internet via WiFi.

I'm not sure if I really needed to use a different browser, or if it was a timing or caching issue. In any case, it worked."

So, the answer to my original question is Yes, the landing/login page from the public hotspot WILL pass thru to the laptop browser.

Thanks all, again.