Lounger
    Thanks

Move Apps to different drive grey out WHY?

So I have a computer with a small SSD drive 120 Gig and a 2 T hardrive and I want o make so that all apps get installed to the hard drive and only the operating system resides on the SSD. But the choice is greyed out in settings/system/storage . This cant be right! Please help! Thanks in advance!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserbiz View Post
    So I have a computer with a small SSD drive 120 Gig and a 2 T hardrive and I want o make so that all apps get installed to the hard drive and only the operating system resides on the SSD. But the choice is greyed out in settings/system/storage . This cant be right! Please help! Thanks in advance!
    I've found it's not easy or sometimes not possible to move installed programs to a different drive, but that's been the situation for many versions of Windows at least since Win95. It is possible to uninstall programs then do a Custom install pointing to the desired destination. The problem most times is that the install routine creates the icons in the Start Menu, copies files to either Program files or Programs Files (x86) [for 32-bit programs on 64-bit computers], copies support files to more than one place such as the Windows Folder and creates Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the programs.

I use settings/options/preferences in various programs to designate a different Folder location for storing documents created in those programs.