3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to turn off Malwarebytes Automated Scheduler in the free version

I recently upgraded my old version of Malwarebytes to the latest free version.
    Ever since then I have been getting recurring popup windows advising to upgrade to the premium version, or Scan Now, even though I had just done a scan. Really annoying!
    And I could not find anything in the scheduling section to switch it off.
    I sent a help request to Malwarebytes, and got back a really helpful communication.
    Here it is in a slightly edited form:

TOGGLING OFF MALWAREBYTES ANNOYING AUTOMATED SCHEDULER
    "By default, with the Malwarebytes Free version there are some settings that are inaccessible to modify.
    One of these settings is the Automated Scheduler of which 2 preset tasks are added during the installation of Malwarebytes.
    A workaround to resolve this issue is to remove the file that manages the scheduler.
    First open Malwarebytes and go to Settings > Automated Scheduling. Verify the following 2 scheduled tasks listed:
    Threat scan
    Check for Updates
    Close Malwarebytes.
    On your PC, navigate to the following location: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Configuration
    Locate the file named scheduler.conf
    Once you have located the file, delete it from your PC.
    Open the folder named Restore. If you find a scheduler.conf file, delete that as well.
    Doing so will prevent the file from being restored to the original location causing the automated tasks to regenerate.
    Relaunch Malwarebytes.
    Go back to Settings > Automated Scheduler and confirm that the above tasks are no longer shown.
    Reboot your PC.
    This should resolve the issue."

Best regards,
    rstew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gosh, I'm surprised that Malwarebytes produced such a detailed reply for a user of the Free version.

I paid up while lifetime licences were still on offer, one of the best spends of GBP 19.95 I have ever made.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As well as unchecking MBAM's box in msconfig, I also disabled the MBAMService in services.msc and it still works when I want it use it.

I've also done this for the free version of SuperAntiSpyware as I want to determine when they are active.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Gosh, I'm surprised that Malwarebytes produced such a detailed reply for a user of the Free version.

I paid up while lifetime licences were still on offer, one of the best spends of GBP 19.95 I have ever made.
    I've used their support (I have the free version) and I found them extremely helpful and attentive.