Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Windows install on two computers?

Using windows 8.1 oem disk can I install on two computers with having to buy two install setups

Dave

Banned Member
    Thanks
    No. OEMs are only 1 license, 1 machine. At this point just buy a Windows 10 for the 2nd machine.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the software did not come with either machine you would be breaching the license conditions installing it at all. What was on the machines originally?

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, maybe you could/would explain a bit further. Like Paul, I am not really sure what you are thinking of doing. OEM discs can only be used on one machine. Did the disc come w/ the original machine?

Thanks
    No it the disk was purchase with parts
    The CPU had XP and was upgrade with a OEM disk purchase just last year

Thank you
    Dave

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    No it the disk was purchase with parts
    The CPU had XP and was upgrade with a OEM disk purchase just last year

Thank you
    Dave
    Ok, in that case 1 computer could be built w/ it. And it's it, that's as much as could be done w/ it. One cannot buy additional licenses for OEMs; unlike Retail copies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    One cannot buy additional licenses for OEMs; unlike Retail copies.
    ?? What do you mean, that you can not upgrade??

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    ?? What do you mean, that you can not upgrade??

Where'd that come from? The query seemed to be, can an OEM copy of Windows be installed on more than 1 machine... which, implies buy a license for the use on the 2nd machine. And one cannot purchase additional license for OEM copies. Retail OS copies one can buy additional licenses & use them to install on additional machines.

OEMs - Cannot purchases additional licenses & not supported by MS, only by the Vendor or System Builder.

Retails - Can purchase additional licenses & are supported by MS.

Nothing was said about any ability to upgrade anything or lack of ability.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-09-25 at 17:35.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Where'd that come from? The query seemed to be, can an OEM copy of Windows be installed on more than 1 machine... which, implies buy a license for the use on the 2nd machine. And one cannot purchase additional license for OEM copies. Retail OS copies one can buy additional licenses & use them to install on additional machines.

OEMs - Cannot purchases additional licenses & not supported by MS, only by the Vendor or System Builder.

Retails - Can purchase additional licenses & are supported by MS.

Nothing was said about any ability to upgrade anything or lack of ability.
    Well if that is what you mean you are wrong. Of course you can buy another OEM licenses. Check out Newegg, Ebay or Amazon.

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hmm, after all the OEM machines I have built and serviced and after taking and passing my Licensing course...

I realize you want me to be wrong. Yes, can buy OEM copies BUT, can only put them in 1 machine and CANNOT buy an additional license with or for them and use them again in additional machines; once only, 1 machine. I trust you understand, now.
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-09-25 at 23:33.

Thanks
    What happen if you do install on two CPU's at the same time
    This copy was used in pass on this mother board
    Late was up graded to a new mother board

Dave

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When you attempt to activate the software you will get an error on at least one of the machines.
    You could try a second hand Windows copy, but there is no guarantee the software hasn't been used somewhere else.

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    What happen if you do install on two CPU's at the same time
    This copy was used in pass on this mother board
    Late was up graded to a new mother board

Dave
    Maybe was not clear. I guess you could say can put an OEM in more than one machine but... Wait for it... NOT AT THE SAME TIME!

Thanks
    Yes I did
    I just have not turn on the old one
    Try find out if I use the old what will happen

Dave

Thanks
    In the case of Windows 8.1 and prior versions of Windows, the license is linked to the Product Key. Whether Retail or OEM, one Product Key = one licensed installation. With OEM license, it is a one-machine license, which is to say that it cannot legally be transferred to another machine. Provisions are made by MS for some upgrading of the original PC, such as hard disk drive, optical drive, additional RAM and the like. A motherboard can be replaced as well, but it has to be a duplicate of the original, not an upgrade. An upgrade motherboard is generally considered a new machine, invalidating the OEM license.

One OEM Product Key cannot be used on two computers. An OEM Product Key cannot be transferred from one computer to another computer. It is a one-time use and is valid as long as the original machine is operational, including reasonable repairs, but not distinct upgrades.

A Retail Product Key is transferable. It can be uninstalled/removed from one PC and installed on a completely different PC. Retail also can only be active on one PC at any one time. Even dual-booting the same OS requires two Product Keys according to MS.

Windows 10 licensing is now linked to the machine itself through a hardware hash generated during installation. The PC, OS and all, can be transferred (you can sell it to someone else), but only a Retail Windows 10 License can be transferred from one machine to another.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast